For better or worse, Battle at Bristol was a weekend to remember

Virginia Tech got destroyed by Tennessee on college football’s biggest stage

Despite a strong first quarter, Virginia Tech’s dreams of defeating Tennessee went up in smoke and were demolished by border rival Tennessee at the Battle at Bristol.

But, was that what the 156,990 fans really came for? Bristol Motor Speedway was nearly packed to host the record-breaking game. Although Bristol was “just another football game” for the Hokies, the fans experienced something completely different – something life changing.

For most of us, the excitement of being there was enough. From tailgates to the stands, fans lined the streets. Every time Hokies’ paths collided, their chant was heard for miles.

Bristol was a day full of events for the fans. Tailgates started at 7:30am and lasted throughout the day. Concerts featuring Jon Pardi and Sam Hunt entertained fans of all ages in the early afternoon. The crowds were riled up ready for the game later in the day.

This was the last time Tennessee and Tech fans were cordial with each other.

Fans started to march to the game early, and merchandise from the game was quite scarce as game time neared.

Once arriving to the stadium, the hike to the top of the bleachers began. Although people were worried about the view, it really wasn’t hard to see. The most difficult part of the game to watch was the Hokies continuously handing the ball over to Tennessee.

The Hokies had two touchdowns in the first quarter, but the team fell apart shortly after the start of the second quarter. The Vols ran away with 24 points before halftime. In the second half, the Hokies couldn’t regain the momentum they needed to overcome the deficit, and the Vols embarrassed Virginia Tech 45-24.

Here’s to forgetting and being ready for the next game.

Virginia Tech