A behind-the-scenes look at the Battle at Bristol

‘We brought those guys here to play, so that’s the plan’

The Battle at Bristol has been a highly anticipated game for quite some time. Not only for the fans, but for the staff at Bristol Motor Speedway and coaches and players on both teams.

“It’s a bit surreal to be at this point, because it’s been twenty years in the making,” said Jerry Caldwell, Bristol Motor Speedway manager. “Game week is here! We’re used to saying, ‘race week is here,’ but game week is here.”

Caldwell is expecting to set the largest fan attendance record in college football history.

Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente expects a high intensity football game on Saturday. He depicts Tennessee as a highly talented, unique football team that was challenged in last week’s thriller against Appalachian State. However, Fuentes insists that the Hokies have much more to offer than what fans saw last Saturday.

Head coach Justin Fuente

“We have left plenty of plays out there,” Fuente said, referring to the win against Liberty. “We have another level we can reach.”

Although the Battle at Bristol is a larger stage than either teams are used to playing, Coach Fuente and his staff are confident that the team will be prepared to play.

“[Football is] played between the lines; it’s not played up in the stands,” said Bud Foster. “We’re focusing on what we can control – and that’s the game.”

Virginia Tech’s squad is fired up to play this weekend, but players and coaches claim they treat this game like any other.

“The bottom line is it’s game two,” said Foster. “There’s no doubt that this game will be a battle. Tennessee and Virginia Tech both have many titles and championships under their belts. We’ve got a lot of respect for those guys and what they do with their program.”

“It’s going to be a bit of a challenge for our guys, but they’re up for it,’ said wide receiver coach Holmon Wiggins.

Both teams are extremely talented and backed by great coaches and coordinators. Virginia Tech’s legendary former coach, Frank Beamer, will be in attendance. Bud Foster is one of the nation’s most highly decorated defensive coordinators. Justin Fuente was one of the hottest coaching commodities prior to signing with Virginia Tech. As for Tennessee, head coach Butch Jones was the Big East Coach of the Year in 2011 and has led past teams to seven bowl appearances. His support staff are also well-seasoned when dealing with highly recognizable football players and bowl appearances.

Defensive coordinator Bud Foster

For Saturday’s game, Wiggins expects that this team is prepared.

“We brought those guys here to play, so that’s the plan,” Wiggins said. “We want them to play hard, smart and tough.”

For fans, Battle at Bristol is a major experience, but for the Virginia Tech football team, their priorities and expectations are quite different. Players seem optimistic about the head-to-head challenge in Bristol this weekend, and they’re hoping for a good game.

“Any team can show up on any day,” said fullback Sam Rogers. “We have to prepare the same way but know the stakes are a little higher.”

Isaiah Ford, Woody Baron and Jerod Evans have all expressed how they are trying to perfect their individual game to put their team in the best possible position to succeed.

Coaches and players claim that there is another gear to the football team’s well-oiled machine, and they are ready to compete at higher levels.

“We’re comfortable with the tempo,” said Evans. “We push tempo every day in practice.”

In addition, Virginia Tech has a new weapon to push the speed of the game. Evans continued to gloat about his new teammate and receiver Henry Murphy, who is expected to bring a lot of speed to the team.

Quarterback Jerod Evans

As the week wraps up, the Hokies have yet to allow the awe factor of Bristol to sink in.

“I’m not worried about anything. It’s still a football game,” said Ford. “We have to go out and execute. We know that winning football games is a privilege. They don’t come easy at all. Any time you win a game in college football, it’s a privilege. We don’t take anything for granted.”

Virginia Tech