What it’s really like to experience Lane Stadium for the first time

Baptism by football

Since arriving at Virginia Tech I have been bombarded by people telling me “just wait until your first football game.” I have been to many other college football games in the past, so I assumed that this game would be like any other. I could not have been more wrong.

It’s never too early to start tailgating

When I first saw that the game was a 12:30 start, it bummed me out. Tech students seem to like their sleep on the weekends, so I figured there was no way the tailgating would start before 10. I was pleasantly surprised when my hallmate woke me up at 8am banging on the door yelling “its game day.” As soon as I stepped foot outside my door, I realized that it is never too early for a Tech student to start pre-gaming. The campus was filled with alumni, current students and future Hokies preparing themselves for football seasons return.

Enter Sandman

I know I shouldn’t have questioned the legitimacy of the legendary Enter Sandman entrance, but it’s hard to understand how incredible it is before you’ve actually experienced it. My friends and I made sure to get into the stadium by 12 just so we had prime seating for it. I have never seen more people be instantaneously filled with excitement than when the first cord of Metallica’s hit was blasted through the stadium. As soon as the jumping starts you can feel the stadium rumble beneath you and in that moment you are surrounded by your fellow Hokies who have just transformed from total strangers into acquaintances due to the love you all share for Tech football.

The traditions make the experience

Being such a huge fan of college football since I was little, I had always admired schools that have their own unique celebrations and chants. Virginia Tech is certainly one of those schools. From the “block that kick” chant (RIP Beamer Ball) to the rattling of keys on third down, the crowd definitely had an influence on the game. In fact, Liberty committed eight false starts and at times seemed like they couldn’t hear themselves think, nonetheless the snap count. My favorite Hokie tradition was definitely the hokey-pokey before the fourth quarter. After feeling the stress of losing to Liberty for two quarters, the relief of pulling away from them in the third and securing a victory seemed to make everyone appreciate the 1940’s dance craze even more.

Lifting fellow Hokies after touchdowns

As soon as I walked out of Lane Stadium, I was already wishing I could turn around and watch another game. There is no easy way to describe what being a Hokie means, but attend a football game and it will all make sense.

Virginia Tech