Everything we’re most looking forward to for VT football

It’s time for Enter Sandman and 8am shotguns

Every year, Tech students look forward to one thing more so than anything else: Chicken Parm day at Owens. But right up there with that simple, yet delicious meal is Tech Football and the return of football fans’ traditions. It provides the perfect opportunity to get together with friends, eat good food and get drunk before noon. Everyone’s experience is different, though, so we asked your fellow Hokies what they’re most excited about for this upcoming football season.

Tailgating

Of course, when you think about football, you think about tailgating. Usually when you’re hanging out with friends eating and drinking out of the back of a truck, you’re kicked out of the Lowe’s parking lot and the police are called. But not with tailgate parties. This is just a fun time for all. Join friends or make new ones and play cornhole, share stories, eat and drink, and most importantly, make memories.

Getting together with friends

Even if you don’t go tailgating, the pre-game parties in houses and apartments can be just as fun. In fact, this is where many football traditions are started. 8am shotgunning, watching Red Hot Chili Peppers music videos, or doing whatever else you do before football games, it’s always a good time. Not to mention, most of the time people bring the best, most unhealthy food to share with the group (we all know that one friend who’s buff chick dip is to die for). The whole day consists solely of eating, drinking, listening to music and watching football. No wonder there’s so much excitement brewing for this upcoming season.

Lane Stadium

If you’ve never been in Lane Stadium for a Virginia Tech football game, get ready for an experience like never before. The energy created by the students and fans there is unrivaled. From the minute “Enter Sandman” starts to play, to the final whistle, there’s cheering, jeering, yelling, clapping, stomping and every other method of noise-making you can imagine, all radiating from a sea of maroon and orange. It’s a sight to behold. Not to mention Enter Sandman itself; this was a tradition I was unaware of when I first came to Tech, but I was blown away by the tens of thousands of students jumping up and down to the song inside and outside the stadium. The team spirit is truly amazing.

Justin Fuente

Every Hokie has heard this name before. Justin Fuente is the new VT Football head coach – the first new head coach to come to Tech since 1986. All eyes are on him to see how he performs. There’s tons of potential for him to help reform the football program, too. At Memphis, where he most recently coached, Fuente took over the team when they had a losing record of 1-8. In a matter of years, he led the team to victory in the Beach Bowl with their first 10-win season since the 1930’s. With an impressive history under his belt, Fuente is looking to have an impact on the VT football program, and Hokie fans are eager to see what he can do.

Source: Hokiesports.com

Hokie Spirit

There’s something in the air during football season, and it’s not just the sound of “Enter Sandman.” Every fall, Blacksburg truly comes alive. Restaurants, stores, and students alike get into the spirit of Hokie football, and the whole town bleeds maroon and orange. The Hokie Bird is out and about, Souvlaki puts out their Hokie Season graveyard, and every bar in Blacksburg is packed on game days. But there’s also a certain bond that every Hokie can sense, and it’s this intangible connection we all have that makes up such a huge part of Hokie Culture.

Year after year, generation after generation, Hokies come together over this sport. With a winning or losing season, we all come out every week to watch our team play and make memories with friends. After all, Virginia Tech Football is about so much more than just football.

Virginia Tech