Everything you actually need to know about Trump

The good, the bad and the ugly

Many can agree that Donald Trump is a cold-hearted big mouth, but what some don’t understand is how he has generated so much support.

​According to Rolling Stone magazine article, “How America Made Donald Trump Unstoppable”, Americans have paved the way for him to move right to the top of the political chain. A reason he has been capable of doing so is not because he has great people skills, but because he has used language that every day Americans can understand, not political jargon.

“People like us like what he says because at the time, we know things need to be turned around,” said Carol Samuels, an older female voter looking for change. “He’s rough but he’s known as a man who says what he is going to do and does it.”

When Trump speaks, people tend to want to listen, especially now because he has said so many taboo comments. People want to listen just because they are anticipating the next absurd comment, and for him, it is free publicity. Many people in the public relations field argue that all publicity is not good publicity, but for Trump, it is. Trump has had to spend little money on advertising unlike his counterparts because every time he opens his mouth, the media is there with a microphone and camera ready to broadcast it on their evening news.

Although many despise the man, everyone must come to agree that he is one tough cookie. He has yet to back down when it comes to a controversial topic. He states what is on his mind, and even when someone is ready to throw punches his way, he is always there ready to throw one back.

“We don’t need a wimp in the White House,” said Samuels, “and I really don’t think people are going to walk over Donald Trump.”

Trump’s public relations tactics according to an article in Forbes Magazine, “Trump’s Winning PR Strategy”, has given him a leg up on everyone. He has 3 main things that have been working for him and will continue to work for him:

1. He is a celebrity
  2. He has no filter
  3. He takes on all critics

​All three have managed to help him discombobulate the entire political system, but it is something that many politicians should take on. Unfortunately, he has always been like this, and people were aware of it before he ran for presidency. But Trump has almost created a transparency within his campaign and the American public, and many Americans have always despised the political system because it seems like a scam. Trump seems honest because he says how he feels and doesn’t take no for an answer.

When speaking to his supporters, they aren’t afraid to speak their opinion, either, which is why they may be able to relate to the big mouth! They also see the flip-side to his antics. Personally, I do believe he says things for show. He can only be so racist and so sexist – his wife is foreign and can barely speak English!

He now even has support from opponents like Ben Carson who said “he is actually an intelligent man who cares deeply about America.”

Positives of his campaign would be bringing jobs back home to the United States, standing up to opposing countries (much like he does to his opponents), making a cheaper healthcare system (that doesn’t waste $5 billion to create just the website), rebuilding our infrastructure with a decent budget (which he has experience in as a Real Estate broker) and those things are beneficial to all America, not just a certain demographic.

“People tend to fuss about the Republicans because it’s for the ‘rich people,’ but it’s for people who have businesses,” said Samuels. “If you have a business, you need to have people working for you; that’s what keeps the economy going.” Samuels continued to elaborate how successful Trump has been with his own businesses and closed saying if he could run this country like his business, then we would be in a better position as a nation.

“He has done well, and you want somebody in Congress who can make good decisions,” she said.

Many people tend to lack knowledge when making political decisions, especially with the rise of social media. Younger generations haven’t been around long enough to make educated decisions, so what has been put on social media is what gets absorbed by young minds who are making big decisions about the future of this country.

“Whoever has stated an opinion of him—that he is racist or sexist—has most likely been formed from how he is portrayed in the media, and what has been selected to be put out there. That has formed an entirely differently persona than if you were to listen to him in a speech or debate,” said Virginia Tech student Bradley Sisson. “The people in the media thought because he was a businessman it didn’t seem right so the media has done whatever they can to show why people shouldn’t support him.”

Bradley continued to say that those opposing Trump have yet to counter arguments in the major areas that he has been criticized and that unfortunately social media, Facebook in particular, has been the demise of the political race thus far. He said that many people his age only look at what has been posted to social media. Facebook has helped people formulate negative opinions on all candidates, and therefore many people don’t think they like a single one.

Although Trump may seem like a madman at times, and it almost seems that he has made a mockery of the political system. His strategy and public relations tactics have allowed him to take over as Republican candidate for a reason.

Virginia Tech