Everything they don’t tell you before freshman year at Tech

You will get a parking ticket

While much of the Virginia Tech student body is from Virginia, there is a decent amount of students that come from out-of-state or from another country. I, myself, come from Randolph, New Jersey and have noticed quite a bit in my four years at Virginia Tech.

Ducks are the GOAT. There may be two ducks walking in front of D2 or down the sidewalk between Pritchard Hall and Peddrew-Yates Hall. This so-called “duck couple” prances around waiting for students to take their obligatory Snapchat with the cute ducks, but this is not a rare occurrence.

You will get a parking ticket, it’s inevitable. While I don’t have a car on campus, many who do will receive at least one parking ticket from Parking Services while they are at Virginia Tech. Some just forget to move their vehicles, or others just are too lazy to walk back and forth from Lane Stadium or The Cage.

Fire alarms in the residence hall are semi-frequent occurrences. Slusher, Pritchard and East/West Ambler Johnston Halls are the frequent flyers in this department. Just a word from the wise: put water in your Easy Mac and don’t put popcorn in the microwave for more than 5 minutes…typically that is asking for trouble.

You will get lots of work, just wait for it. If you are a freshman, especially, or are not an engineer, do not brag to the Civil Engineers or others students with hard majors because you will be in that same position eventually when you have tons of work and need to actually budget your time.

There may be a “buzz” in Cassell Coliseum, literally. For the past few years, Virginia Tech men’s basketball has struggled and is finally on its way up the ranks in the ACC with head coach Buzz Williams. The atmosphere will be electric, and it is important to make sure that the Cassell is a true home court advantage.

Yes, Enter Sandman is played in places OTHER than Lane Stadium for football games. Other Virginia Tech athletic events play the famous song and Metallica’s hit is also played at graduation as well as before other important events going on at Virginia Tech.

Most of Drillfield Drive is one-way, so don’t pull a freshman move and look both ways before crossing the Drillfield on the straightaways, just look left.

You may experience all seasons at Virginia Tech in the same day. It will go from snowing one minute, to sunshine, to pouring rain. Temperatures also rise and drop whenever they want.

Make sure you experience all of the dining halls. Virginia Tech is usually ranked in the top five in the country for best college food, so branch out and try something new!

Always know when someone asks what’s a Hokie: the correct answer is “I am!”

GO HOKIES!

Virginia Tech