What it’s really like being a cadet at Tech

They’re just your average college kids… except they wear uniforms

Our university was founded as a military college. That being said, the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets is literally  the oldest organization offered by our campus. The Corps is described as a 24/7 “leadership laboratory” and offers disciplines for all branches of the military and a civilian track. But the divisions of branches don’t create factions, according to Lindsey Bittinger, a junior in Delta company. “Everyone is here for a purpose, and that purpose is different for everyone, but at the end of the day they’re all really similar,” she said.

While it’s an honor to wear the uniform, on campus it can also be a curse. Many cadets have a hard time making civilian friends, and the reason behind it is simple: they freak some people out. Who are these people and what makes them so different? I interviewed 25 residents of Pearson Hall (and a couple in Monteith Hall) to get their take on being a college cadet. My surprising realization was that they’re completely normal. They just wear a uniform five days a week.

They’re enjoying college just as much as you are

While the Corps may have lots of regulations, none of them seemed disenchanted with college life. In fact, when asked whether they enjoyed being in the Corps, 96% of them responded with an enthusiastic yes! And a measly 8% said that they would re-live their college years as a civilian if given the chance.

Andrew Anklowitz (Senior, Alpha company) about to do “the weaver” at the obstacle course during his platoon tactical challenge. (Photo via Christopher Brown)

However, the Corps gets a lot closer than your average college dormitory. During my interviews, the word “family” came up countless times. The camaraderie these students achieved during even their first semester as cadets was incredible to witness. “I love how much of a family we are, with all the cadets in our company,” said Leah Roberts, a senior in Golf company. They all look out for each other like brothers and sisters, not much different than a civilian sorority or fraternity on campus.

They do almost all the same activities that civilians do

Speaking of Greek life, being a cadet doesn’t bar you from joining a sorority or fraternity! While you do have to wait until your second semester as a cadet to rush or pledge, I found that several cadets I interviewed were part of fraternities outside of the Corps.

In addition, they play sports just like civilians! Intramural, club, and casual social sports matches of various kinds are a common pastime among cadets, even on top of their mandatory physical training. And the friendships they develop are definitely a plus. “It’s a competitive atmosphere… but it’s a team atmosphere,” said Jack Holland (freshman, Golf company).

Army ROTC and Navy ROTC face off in tackle football. (Photo via Christopher Brown)

The Corps has several clubs and organizations within itself, but that doesn’t mean the cadets ignore civilian organizations. All of the clubs that you’re a part of?  Guess what: they join them too. Several on campus clubs have cadet members, including Matthew Krusiec (Freshman, Alpha company), a member of the history club. “Sometimes events can clash with academics or extracurriculars,” he said, but it doesn’t stop many of them from getting involved on campus.

They maintain relationships just like you do

How hard was it to maintain your relationship with your high school sweetheart? Now imagine barely having any time to contact them. According to Eleanor Franc (freshman, Foxtrot company), “It can put a strain on your relationships because there’s just not a lot of free time.” While it’s a little more difficult for them, they maintain relationships with significant others just like you do. 32% of cadets I interviewed said that they were in committed relationships, one upperclassmen was even engaged.

Christopher Brown (freshman, Alpha company) and his girlfriend Anna Cho at Military Ball 2016. (Photo via Christopher Brown)

What do they think about their relationship with the civilian population?

So what do they think about us civilians? Many upperclassmen cadets have several civilian friends, but they came into these friendships rather late in their college career. Most cadets in the Corps feel like they can’t make friends with civilians. They feel ostracized, or like we’re intimidated by them. And that very well may be the case! But that’s the point: they’re not trying to intimidate anyone. Brad Gifford (junior, Foxtrot company) expressed it this way: “I think [civilian students] kind of have this perception that we’re super uptight, locked-on kind of people, but I’m a pretty goofy guy if you get to know me.”

While most members of the Corps live their lives separately from civilians, they don’t always wish that it was that way. Many cadets that I interviewed mentioned that they would like to have more civilian friends, and they would love to be asked about what they do in the Corps. That’s pretty natural isn’t it? We all like to be asked about the organization we’re a part of.

So even though they understand why civilians might not fraternize with cadets, they don’t necessarily find the civilian student body to be a wholly separate entity. I think that Amber Shea (freshman, Alpha company) said it best: “I understand why people [don’t talk to us], because people connect the military with hard-asses and hardcore people. But we’re just regular people wanting to pursue our dreams just like everyone else.”

Should Virginia Tech work harder to close the gap between cadets and civilians?

“I think that the Corps and the university could do a better job of getting the civilians and cadets to interact with each other more. I think that’s a big problem.” -Matthew Krusiec

So what do you think? Should Virginia Tech and the Corps of Cadets work harder to help cadets and civilians connect with one another? You decide. But next time you’re sitting next to a cadet in class, say hi. I would recommend making friends with at least one of them, they’re pretty cool people.

Civilians and cadets share our beautiful campus. Why can’t we overcome this invisible division?

Special thanks to Matthew Krusiec, Jacob Rickman (freshman, Alpha company), and Samuel Meaux (junior, Golf company) for escorting me around the cadet dormitories; Christopher Brown for being my primary contact and for supplying pictures of the Corps, and to all of the incredible people I got to interview!

Read more about the Corps of Cadets here.

Virginia Tech