Freshmen reflect on the Day of Remembrance

We made the right decision in calling Tech home

cadets3.2

A remembrance letter by Daja Askew:

On April 16, 2007 I was in the fourth grade. Coming home and hearing about the tragedy scared me, it left my 10-year-old self wondering “how could someone do such a thing?” Fast forward nine years later, here I am an official Hokie and the support that occurred nine years ago is still happening today.

This weekend I volunteered at the 3.2 for 32 as both a supporter and a traffic director and seeing the amount of people who showed up amazed me. I stood cheering along as a sea of orange coursed through the streets and into Lane Stadium. The energy and togetherness of the Hokie community made me glad that I chose Virginia Tech as my home. Up until today, I have never questioned whether or not I belong here. However, today with the strong sense of community surrounding me, I know I made the right decision in calling Tech my home.

Despite not having attended Virginia Tech at the time of the tragedy, the community came together then and it still continues to support one another each year honoring the fallen 32 students and professors. Today I saw just how many people are a part of this strong community. Students, parents, alumni, professors, faculty, the townspeople, and individuals all around the world came together today to support the families of the fallen and the Hokie community as a whole.  

Prior to coming here and even before today, I don’t think I understood what it fully meant to be a Hokie and what it felt like to have such a strong community. I learned that we Hokies are strong, steadfast, and through tragedy we will find happiness. This tragedy will forever be a part of each and every Hokie and will never be forgotten. It holds a special place in each of our hearts as we all join together in remembrance of our fellow 32.

Words from Kaitlyn Brophy:

To further honor the fallen this Saturday, I wanted to attend an event I heard of. Letters from all around the world truly represent the phrase, “Today we are all Hokies” as regards from Africa to Antarctica all stand together in the “Words of Comfort: An exhibit of letters from around the world in the April 16th Condolence Archives” event in the Newman Library Multipurpose Room. 

There was one section of the letter exhibit that expressed intense emotion and passion behind it – 32 eggs with each fallen member’s name scribed onto it. All shared the same tragic date on the backside of the egg, April 16, 2007. This display really touched my heart because of the letter alongside it:

Eggs symbolize the promise of new life, but they are also so, so fragile. Each person killed on April 16 was a unique individual so the front of each egg is decorated with a unique design, but each also shared a terrible bond in their last moments… and so the back of each egg shares the same symbols… the same date. I am so sorry because I could not stop it. There should be other dates associated with each of these names: A graduation, a wedding, the birth of a child… a grandchild, anniversaries, retirement parties… even dates of death… but not like this… not yet. Dates somewhere in the future. Maybe a year from now, maybe 80 years from now… just not now. I didn’t know a single on of the people killed on April 16th, but I am so sad and so sorry just the same.

The letter is signed “A former Hokie and Blacksburg resident.” The examples the writer lists as important or dates in each person’s lifetime is really shaking. Here I am, knowing and hoping that I will reach these milestones at some point in my life while those innocent 32 cannot all due to acts of violence. We have all felt the same way as the writer at some point as well: “I am sorry because I could not stop it”. Even I, a 10-year-old at the time, wish that I could have stopped the events that happened that day. We are all well-aware that the past cannot be changed, and all we can do is try to make for a better tomorrow through events like the 3.2 run, and of course, honoring April 16 as a Day of Remembrance.

This entire display embodies the mantra of “neVerforgeT”. We are Hokies, we are strong, and we will be remembered. I feel so honored to have had the opportunity to personally view all of these letters today. Even though this tragedy was heard around the world, we did not fall with it. Instead we all stand, as Hokies, to honor and support those who have fallen, and most importantly—remember.

In the future, I encourage every Hokie to participate in the 3.2 for 32, to give back to our community around us and to also consider visiting this exhibit.

Virginia Tech