People questioned my decision to come to Tech

They kept saying, ‘Isn’t that where the shooting happened?’

But we are so much more than tragedy.

As high school seniors, we were faced with the reality of the future. College rejection letters hit us like a hard punch to the face, the anxiety of waiting for the decision from our dream schools consumed our thoughts and of course, senioritis was hitting HARD. When I found out about my surprising acceptance to Virginia Tech, I wanted the world to know.

I could finally call myself a proud Hokie, and I felt nothing could take that away from me. Like most of us, I turned to Facebook to announce this achievement and excitement, but instead of overwhelming congratulatory praises from friends and family, I received confusion and concerns.

“Isn’t that where the shooting happened?”

“Aren’t you at least a little bit scared to go there?”

“Don’t get shot lol.”

If you’re a Hokie and you’re reading this, those comments probably piss you off too. However, at the time, these comments took a toll on my pride, my confidence and clouded my own perception of what it meant to be a Virginia Tech Hokie. Did I even want to go here anymore?

Fast forward one year. I am sitting at my desk staring across the Drillfield directly at Burruss with the sounds of tour groups and class changes as white noise in the background. It is little things like these that make me shudder at the fact that I ever doubted such an amazing school. It is the anniversary of the April 16th shooting and I am prouder than ever to be apart of the Hokie Nation. Instead of mourning the loss of 32 of our own, we are celebrating their lives and honoring our fallen Hokies.

This week especially, we truly embody what it means to be a part of the Virginia Tech and Blacksburg community. It has taught me something that is so integral to the character of this amazing school – we are Virginia Tech and we are more than tragedy.

It can be difficult to understand this if you are an outsider looking in, but as a student coming to the end of their Freshman year, I am no longer that timid high school senior who listens to antagonistic comments and responses. Instead, I am a proud part of a resilient community who doesn’t back down when faced with fear, a community that picks up its brothers and sisters when we stumble, and a community that truly exemplifies the heart and soul of “Ut Prosim.”

Virginia Tech plays a tremendously active role in serving the local community and beyond, but this week Ut Prosim takes on a different meaning. As Hokies we are so passionate about giving back to others that we often forget to give to ourselves. During this sensitive time, the amount of support and outpouring of love from across the entire globe perfectly exhibits why our motto of “Ut Prosim” is so important – You get what you give.

It is this week and especially today that we set aside any differences we may have with fellow classmates, peers and even our rival school. It is my hope that you take the time to reflect on what happened April 16, 2007 and think how this tragedy has only made us stronger.

We are more than one person who took the lives of too many. We are more than 32. We are resilient. We are Strong. We are Proud Hokies. We are Virginia Tech, and we will NEVER FORGET! And there is nothing that can take that away from us.

Virginia Tech national-us