I’m from Northern Virginia, the best place in America to grow up

Not NOVA – that’s what we call our community college

When I was a junior in high school, I learned in history class that the Northern Virginia area was almost made into its own state due to pure size. Despite it being so huge, if you’re from “NOVA,” you typically will know every place someone might reference.

Personally, I’m from Centreville, Virginia which is part of Fairfax County. I’ve lived there my whole life, and until coming to Virginia Tech in 2013, it was all I really knew. Now that I’m in Southern Virginia, and I’ve met people from everywhere in the world, I’ve learned some key characteristics of those of us from Northern Virginia.

We live so close to Washington, D.C., but we don’t take advantage of it as much as we should. There are endless opportunities just a short (HAHA, short) ride down 66 into D.C. Think of the history right outside our doorsteps. The Smithsonian, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument. After D.C.’s historical importance, there are the unique places to dine and drink. Whenever I go to D.C. to eat/drink, I ask myself why I don’t go there more. Then I realize I am about to pay $25 for a cheeseburger and I remember why.

If the person you’re talking to names a high school in Northern Virginia, you’ll probably know it. I get strangely excited when I meet someone at Virginia Tech from my hometown. You would think it would be the opposite; there are so many people from Northern Virginia down here that it seems commonplace. This is not the case in a Northern Virginian’s eyes. “Oh, you went to Oakton/Westfield/Centreville/etc.? I went to Chantilly!” is a phrase I’ve said more times than I can count.

Near Northern Virginia

Despite the area’s metropolitan environment, there is a ton of nearby hiking and cool outdoor activities. Shenandoah National Park is an hour away. Great Falls Park is 30 minutes away. Occoquan Reservoir is 20 minutes away. Even though a lot of us love the suburban/urban feel of Northern Virginia, there is nothing better than getting some fresh air, especially when it’s a short drive there.

Northern Virginia traffic

Chances are the traffic at your college is a godsend compared to Northern Virginia. The amount of traffic in Blacksburg is amazing. Because there is none. The only traffic present is usually on campus; otherwise, you’re golden. The D.C. area is infamous for its horrendous traffic. Oh, you want to leave your internship/job at 4 pm? HA. Enjoy staring at the bumper of the car in front of you for at least an hour.

Now, this is just a drop in the bucket of ~just NOVA things~ but it’s a start. I love where I’m from. It’s made me into the driven go-getter that I am today, and I will thank Northern Virginia by staying there forever. Probably. Maybe. Who really knows? The future is an enigma.

Virginia Tech