Everything you should know before coming to Tech

There’s not actually a pool on the eighth floor of Pritchard

Congrats, you just got into possibly the best university in the nation, but how do you make sure you have the best experience? Hopefully, with these quick tips, we can make sure you have the best one possible.

Meeting friends

At Tech, it really isn’t that hard to meet new people. Simply LEAVE YOUR DOOR OPEN! I remember when I was a freshman and my parents dropped me off the first day. I didn’t know anyone and I was beyond terrified that I wasn’t going to meet anyone, but I just left my door open and within an hour, I met some of my best friends at Tech.

Another important thing is really just go outside of your comfort zone the first couple of weeks of college. Go out in your Residence Halls, knock on doors and say hey to some of you new best friends. Trust me, they are craving friendship just as much as you are.

Don’t fall for those freshman myths

Okay, being an upperclassman, I want to dispel some of these myths for you guys, so you don’t ask me later on. DX doesn’t charge you more than normal past midnight for food. Also, if you hear that there is a pool on the eighth floor of Pritchard, that is also not true. Trust me, you will hear these myths at Tech, and yours truly fell for one of them.

Download BT (Blacksburg Transit)

We all dislike public transportation, but Blacksburg/Virginia Tech is trying to make it easier for us, tech savvy folks. With the BT App, you can plan your destination, see when the buses are coming to each stop, and get to the Math Empo right in time for that quiz you have procrastinated all week for. Here is the link for the app.

Go to events around campus

Tech offers a wide range of events for students with a variety of interests. Some of the to-go-to events include Gobblerfest, Hokie-Hi, the Cadet vs. Civilian Snowball fight, and of course, the football games. The picture below was a Brad Paisley Concert this year at Tech. If you are ever bored at Tech you aren’t looking hard enough. I recommend starting a GobblerConnect account now to see what is going on.

Eat out in Blacksburg

Seriously, do it! Yes, we have the best food in the country, but there is some pretty good food in Blacksburg as well! Craving some pizza? Head over to Benny’s and get the famous Virginia Slice (which is the size of your head). Craving some tacos? Go to Cabo Fish Taco! Trust me, your stomach will thank me later and isn’t it good to support our local Blacksburg economy too? Check out the Hooked app for great deals in Blacksburg!

Change the way you “studied” in high school

Let’s be honest, studying didn’t really happen in high school. Well, that is going to have to change in college. You are going to have to actually pay attention and take notes in class! You won’t be good at this at first, but practice makes perfect. Also, go to office hours! It will help you retain the material and build a relationship with your professor that you can utilize later on.

Create a budget for Maroon and Orange

Just a disclaimer, go ahead and create a budget and a section in your closet for those great Chicago Maroon and Burnt Orange t-shirts. You will understand it more when you get here but we take a lot of pride in our colors, I mean A LOT of pride. I can personally guarantee you that by the end of freshman year you will figure a way to incorporate our colors in every outfit you wear.

Find your “spot”

I’ll be honest with you – Virginia Tech can be hard academically. I mean, what do expect from one top public universities in the nation? As a result, stress can really affect you. I know for my freshman year I was bombarded with work and stress began to fill up my every waking day. Back then, I found that the best thing to do is find a spot on campus you can claim as your “own”. A place that you can go to relax by yourself or with a couple of friends. My number one choice is typically the Hahn Gardens, but for others it’s the Pylons. Honestly, you just have to find your own.

Think about joining the Living Learning Communities

How would you like to live with people that are like minded, engaged, and involved on campus? Then I would really think about joining our LLC’s (Living Learning Communities). In these communities you are more engaged with the campus and you meet friends immediately. You want to get involved on campus? Then join the LLC Thrive! Are you the next big entrepreneur? Then join the LLC Innovate! I know so many people that have choose a LLC their freshman year and they are so happy with their decision. If you want to know more go here.

Be yourself

This is college, not high school, so don’t be afraid to be yourself. You will have some of the best memories here and even better friends. Tech is so welcoming and I consider it my second family. There isn’t a day that I am not thankful that I made my decision that I came here. So get ready to come to the best university in America freshmen, we are ready for you.

Virginia Tech