Blacksburg is the best college town of all time

If you disagree, you’re wrong

Being from northern Virginia, I found Blacksburg very different to my hometown. After being here for a couple of months, I now know why so many people are happy to call it their second home. Blacksburg, Virginia is without a doubt the best college town — here’s why.

Virginia Tech has a beautiful campus

The Drillfield is the best part about our campus. It looks beautiful throughout every season, and you can always find friendly faces on it. It’s an awesome place to sit out when the weather is nice and study or eat lunch. When the first snow of the year falls, the cadet versus civilian snowball fight takes place here. There are usually people being active on the Drillfield — playing frisbee, playing with their dogs, riding their bikes, and other things. I love when Hokies are out there playing bubble soccer or Quidditch because that isn’t something you see everywhere. The Drillfield is also home to one of — Burruss Hall!

Photo Credit: Alexander Klevenhagen

Blacksburg is foodie heaven

Not only is Virginia Tech number one in the country for dining, but our college town has some of the best places to get food! There are endless options ranging from fast food at Cook Out or brunch at Gillie’s in downtown Blacksburg. A popular choice amongst college students here is Benny’s — where you can get pizza slices bigger than your face within your college-student budget!

Blacksburg is close to several beautiful hiking spots

This gives many people something to do on weekends in the spring when you just have to get outside. There are a lot of options for hikes in the local area and they aren’t too far away. One of my favorites is McAfee’s Knob — it’s a quick 40 minute drive and the hike is 4 miles up and 4 miles back down. It makes for a great day trip to go on with your friends or significant other and have some lunch at the top of the hike while enjoying a great view.

You can experience all four seasons without ever leaving

When you move onto campus in the summer you can enjoy the blazing sun every day and the warmth for a few football games. Once fall comes around, campus looks even better when the trees are turning orange and maroon, repping Virginia Tech’s colors. During the winter, the Drillfield looks beautiful covered in white snow that seems to sparkle in the sun. When you’re finally getting tired of the cold, spring comes around the corner and you can finally walk out without layers of clothing and enjoy the warmth again!

Photo Credit: Alexander Klevenhagen

School spirit is on point

Students and locals bleed maroon and orange here! There’s nothing more amazing than going to games and being part of a sea of our school colors. It doesn’t take much for people in Blacksburg to be spirited — just walking to class, you will see so many people wearing Virginia Tech attire or our school’s colors. On regular occasions you will see our mascot, the Hokie bird, walking around in academic buildings or dining halls. I love how spirited and enthusiastic everyone is around here!

There’s something for everyone in this college town

No matter who you are or what you’re into, this is a great community to be a part of. One of my favorite things about Blacksburg is the diversity — there is something for everyone to take part in or to do on the weekends. Downtown Blacksburg has several bars, there are movie theaters in the local area, bowling, plays, parties, town events, salons, and Virginia Tech has tons of clubs and organizations for people to join. No matter who you are, there is a place for you in Blacksburg!

Virginia Tech