We asked the class of 2020 why they committed to Vanderbilt

We all chose Vandy – and you should too

The college admissions process takes over the lives of high school seniors across the country. Somehow, Vanderbilt students are still the happiest students in the nation.

The Class of 2020 chose to reflect on why they picked Vanderbilt.

Jennifer Knerr, Political Science & French

“This is very cliché, but when I went to visit last spring, I could really just see myself at Vanderbilt, and it was the first time I really felt like a school was right for me rather than just know based off of statistics that it was a good school.

“It also just always made me happy to think about Vandy, and I couldn’t really find any reasons not to go.”

Youssra Yemmas, Neuroscience

“Definitely, the sense of community at Vandy distinguished it from the other schools I was accepted to!”

Let’s not forget that Nashville’s finest now includes the class of 2020. Courtesy of: Shyion Byfield

Rachel Haber, Viola Performance & Psychology

“The diversity and opportunity at the school were what stood out the most, and in my opinion, is unparalleled. I wanted to be able to pursue music performance at a conservatory level while simultaneously getting a great liberal arts education. Vandy was one of the only schools I could do this at, and not die trying to pursue a double degree.

“I felt like I would be able to have as many academic, music, social, and community opportunities as I wanted, and that was what made it so unique.”

Andrew Sundaram, Medicine, Health, and Society

“Work hard, play hard”

This is how Andy Sundaram revealed he was going to be a Commodore. He did it for the aesthetic. Courtesy of: Andrew Sundaram

Natalie Gottschlich, Physics

“I really loved how it was a great education without the cutthroat atmosphere of other schools! And work hard play hard!”

Kristin Williams, Economics & Human and Organizational Development

“The school was strong in every aspect I value: education, community, activities, entertainment, and possibilities.”

Vanderbilt Stadium. Courtesy of: Hanna Ceule

Kirby Laguerre, Neuroscience

“I first heard about Vanderbilt through a girl I had competed with in pageants. I was only a sophomore in high school at the time, but her constant Instagram pictures definitely made me want to apply- she was having so much fun! Though, I’m not going to lie, what really attracted me was that as an African-American girl, the statements about racism down in Tennessee, though partially true, didn’t seem to stop her from having an enjoyable college experience which was something I greatly appreciated (especially as someone who really wanted to go to Nashville and try other types of fried chicken)!

“And, after doing my research, Vanderbilt really felt like home. Which spoke volumes considering I hadn’t yet visited at the time. Finally, I also don’t usually base my decisions on instinct alone, but everything about the University just felt right. It was an easy decision.”

Kirby Laguerre at an Anchor Day. Courtesy of: Kirby Laguerre

Riko Lee, Human and Organizational Development

“Plainly speaking I stepped onto the campus and it felt like home. No other university gave me that feeling.”

Meghan Leong, Cello Performance & Psychology

“I really love the community and beautiful campus; people are super friendly (especially the tour guides)! also, what pushed me to commit to Vandy was their music school- Blair is so so so amazing in every way and perfect to further my cello studies. a school with phenomenal academics PLUS a phenomenal music school = happy Meghan.”

Riko Lee and Vanderbilt Posse 27 with Vandy’s Director of Admissions, John Gaines

Cortez Johnson, Medicine, Health, and Society

“The atmosphere of Vanderbilt, from the upbeat Music City that is Nashville, to the Southern hospitality of the staff and students was a prominent factor in my decision to commit.”

Nora Murphy, Biology

“I liked the trees.”

We all know every tour stops on Peabody Lawn. Courtesy of: Maia Thornton

Alexis Bray, Human and Organizational Development & Studio Art

“I did the bench test. Like where you go and sit on a bench on campus and imagine being a student. Oh, and the food was dank.”

Natalie Guzman, Biology

“I liked how it was a top school but didn’t seem competitive or cutthroat. I’ve always struggled with dyslexia but I’ve had a lot of support from teachers and friends, and I felt like I would find similar support from students at Vanderbilt!”

Natalie Guzman at Rites of Spring. Courtesy of: Natalie Guzman

Sean McCahey, Medicine, Health, and Society

“The babes… oh, and the academics.”

Shyion Byfield, Political Science

“The first time I ever heard about Vandy was when they sent me an information flyer. The stationery was so pristine that I thought to myself, ‘If they’re going to put so much care into selecting their paper, they’re going to put even more into my education.'”

Jordan Lee, Medicine, Health, and Society

“I chose Vandy because of the love that they showed me the minute I stepped on campus”

Jordan Lee’s recent campus visit reassured what he already knew – he was at home. Courtesy of: Jordan Lee

We all came to Vanderbilt for different reasons. Whether it was food, academics, “babes”, or the love the Commodore family showed us, at the end of the day our love for Vandy can be summarized in one statement.

Who you with!?  VU!

Vanderbilt