ZACH Sings MARIAH is going to be amazing

Need something to do on Sunday after Rites is over? How about some more music?

There’s someone other than Future you should be excited about seeing perform, and his name is Zach Elliott.

I could talk about Zach’s love for Mariah Carey, his stellar academic career in a Bachelor’s/Masters program, and his countless performances at Vanderbilt.

I could call Zach a brilliant, charismatic, talented young man with a bright future ahead of him, whether in transportation engineering or in music.

But even all of that would not do justice to the shining star that is Zach Elliott. He’s my good friend, but anybody who’s spent even five minutes with Zach will know I’m not exaggerating.

I asked him about his highly anticipated senior project, ZACH Sings MARIAH.

How crazy has it been over the past few weeks preparing for this show, especially since you’re a second-semester senior?

Crazy doesn’t even begin to describe it! I feel like I am always five steps behind. Even though I have been planning this show for over a year, there are still so many pieces that all have to come together in this final week. I am also trying to wrap up both my Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in civil engineering during this final month of school, so there is a lot on my plate. But honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I believe life is far too short to not take advantage of as many opportunities as possible, even it it sometimes means sacrificing sleep, school, and sanity!

Trying to get a song just right during a late rehearsal in Kissam

What’s it like working with so many talented artists from the Vandy performing arts community?

I am not worthy to share the stage with such immensely gifted people! Before planning this show, I never would have dreamed that I could perform with more than a dozen of Vanderbilt’s finest performing groups. It took quite a bit of preparation to get all of these groups on board, but they have all worked so hard and given so much passion. My face may be on the posters, but in reality these performers are the talent that make this show a truly dynamic performing arts event. I also would not be here without the support of the consummate musicians in my band, who each bring their own style and sound to the show.

Jason Antwi, Adam Cotter, Zach Elliott, and Will Doran

Obviously Mariah Carey is more than just a one-hit-wonder. How’s it feel knowing you have to live up to certain standards?

Well, I certainly won’t be hitting some of Mariah’s notes, but I am going to try my best to do her proud! Each one of the songs in this show has a very personal meaning to me, so I am going to try to convey that meaning with how I deliver the vocals on each song. Mariah has had such an incredible career filled with timeless music; I can only hope to carry on her legacy as I begin to pursue my musical career this year.

What should your audience expect when they walk into Sarratt on Sunday?

“ZACH Sings MARIAH” is a story of self-liberation and self-confidence. I want people to feel the ebb and flow of life as they are watching and listening to these performances, ultimately to come out feeling stronger, more assured, and at peace with whatever they may be going through. I want every audience member to leave the show feeling like they know a little bit more about me and my experiences. This show is also about having unabashed, untamed, unashamed fun! I want people to feel like they can sing, shout, dance in the aisles, and go crazy with me for an hour and a half!

Just casually striking a pose against the wall

Despite him being a senior, Zach was one of the first friends I made when I came to Vanderbilt. His determination, his enthusiasm, his happy-go-lucky attitude…it’s just infectious. Need proof? By the end of his Thursday night rehearsal, his throat was killing him from singing so much, but two band members were still trying to decipher one section of a song. Zach kept singing the lyrics over and over again until they not only identified the problem, but resolved it. No matter how tired or frustrated everyone felt, Zach inspired them to keep trying.

Zach is truly one of a kind in every meaning of the phrase. Don’t believe me? Well come see for yourself tomorrow at 3pm or 7pm in Sarratt Cinema. You’ll realize that Zach Elliott is more than just another aspiring singer in Music City.

Vanderbilt