Alabaster, Alabama is the best small city to be from

Trust me, you’ve never heard of this place

Alabaster, Alabama: Population 31,342

When people in Nashville ask me where I’m from, I’m reduced to say Birmingham because I was tired of people asking where Alabaster was.

Courtesy of Alabaster City Schools Facebook page

When I was there, I couldn’t wait to leave. I always felt like my dreams were bigger than the city, if you could even call it that. Hardly anyone ever leaves the state for college, and I never fully understood why. I would think, What could Alabama possibly have to offer? 

But the more time I spend in Nashville, the more I start appreciating the little things that Alabaster has to offer.

Like this cleverly named fine dining establishment:

Courtesy of Chubbs Grub Station Facebook page

For instance, I miss knowing that Zaxby’s was only a 1 minute drive away from my house compared to the 20 minute drive I have to make in Nashville.

I miss knowing I don’t have to spend money Ubering to downtown Nashville bars because the shortlived “Club PaNYC” still existed.

I miss knowing that the sweet tea in Alabaster is actually sweet. Seriously, Nashville, please fix this.

I miss knowing that our football team doesn’t have to be good for people to actually come to the games. (My high school went 7-33 during my four years, and it was the best thing ever).

I miss having absolutely nothing to do for fun besides stay in the house or go to the mall.

Most importantly, I miss being close to my family and friends.

Despite many people not knowing where or what Alabaster is, it’s one of the fastest growing cities in Alabama. It was even voted one of the top cities to live in Alabama.

Our small town feel works to our advantage. As soon as you drive into the city, you feel safe. It feels like home. Every time I come back, I’m instantly humbled. I’ve come to appreciate all of the places and people Alabaster offers, even though I took them for granted.

You’re bound to pass Alabaster on your way to the beach, and I urge you to take at least 5 minutes to stop and see the place. You may not see how special our little city is, but Alabaster residents certainly do.

Vanderbilt