Cole is the worst hall on Vanderbilt’s campus

Why can’t everywhere be like Kissam?

Nashville is not only the home of our University but also one of the fastest growing cities in the country. While we get to go to school in one of the coolest places ever, do we get to live in the amazing new apartment complexes or cute little houses near campus? No! Vanderbilt students are stuck in dorms until their senior year.

Luckily, Vanderbilt is gradually renovating. And yeah yeah, a sparkling new dorm, Kissam, was just built and finished last year. But the likelihood of getting in that dorm… slim. Not only that, but also living in the central dorms like Cole or Towers is much more appealing than being based on the clear end of campus.

I have lived in Cole Hall (cool hall) for the past couple of years. However, Cole is actually not so cool. It is BURNING. The furnaces heat up our 12 by 18 feet box rooms in the winter and during the summer for some reason they are FRIGID. The air conditioning is out of control.

Cole is home to the most disgusting bathrooms. Mold is growing in the showers, and globs of hair clog the drain. Each sink has leftover food in it and the trash cans are overflowing. Just this past week the hot water was off for an entire day. No shower, no problem? I do not roll that way. I’d rather beg for the hot water to be turned back on.

Cole Hall has paper thin walls. In fact, I just heard you screaming at your BFF from home through the phone. And of course, every time someone shuts a door your whole room shakes and your walls feel like they are tumbling down.

I have spent the past two years feeling as if I am falling asleep in the middle of an AEPi Party because we’re on top of the frats. Not only that, but I also wake up every morning to lovely construction trucks at 7:30 AM. 

Congrats, Cole! You’ve won an award for the most unappealing place to live on campus. Lucky for me, I have tons of friends who make the Cole experience better. But they aren’t always there when I come back to my box at night and gag when I walk into the bathroom.

For how much we give to Vanderbilt, you think in return they would provide better living accommodations than they do.  But nah. We’re stuck in Gross Hall instead.

Vanderbilt