Service trips are the perfect mix of work and play

It may not ‘change your life’ (or the world, for that matter) but you’re sure to have a lot of fun

When I applied for a Manna trip last fall, I had no idea what I was going to be getting myself into. I have never done an international service trip before, but I had heard that Manna was like a “beginner level” service trip – a great combination of service and leisure time.

After arriving  back to the Vanderbubble last week, I’ve been able to reflect (sorry being corny) on my experience in Corozal Town, Belize.

My conclusion? If you have never done a service trip before but still want to have a fun spring break, Manna is perfect for you, and it’s definitely worth giving it a shot. I’m not ashamed to say that I’m somewhat of a diva, but I believe everyone should have a service experience at some point in their life.

People aren’t lying when they say it makes you more appreciative of everything you have here in the United States and at Vanderbilt.

Cliches aside, here is why  you should apply for Manna next fall:

You get to learn about the locals

You are afforded the opportunity to converse with and get to know the locals of the country you are working in, and hear incredible personal accounts.

Being able to work alongside these unique individuals was a fantastic experience.  

It’s a literal breath of fresh air

You still get to spend time in a beautiful vacation destination.

The wildlife is unbeatable

If you get to go to Belize and work on Jacob’s Farm, you get to interact with tons of cute animals.

The food is dank

Plus, margs every night. 

You totally assimilate

You get to experience the non-touristy side of the country you are visiting, which is almost more fun.

By the end of the week, you feel like one of the locals. 

It’s not all hard work

You get a free day at the end of the week to chill or do fun activities in your host country.

Our free day was at a beautiful beach resort in San Pedro, an island off of the mainland of Belize. 

Lifelong friends

You get so close with your entire group.

I was so lucky to have a group of fun and like-minded individuals to share my spring break with, and I actually got to know so much more about the people I see out on Thursday’s at Rhanas. (Love y’all.)

Thanks to our whole Belize crew for making Spring Break ’16 so unforgettable.

Definitely don’t pass up the opportunity to try out a service trip – I promise, even if you’re high maintenance, you’ll still love it.

Vanderbilt