Don’t believe the stereotypes about sorority girls and race

Vanderbilt needs to stop excluding Greek life when tackling difficult issues

Greek life is often labeled as racist because it is easily stereotyped. Most people assume that sororities are filled with dumb, rich girls. How could we understand the black struggle? The white invalidation of the black community? Many of us can’t. That’s the honest truth.

My freshman year, I thought sororities were literally the dumbest concept on the planet. I mean, sure, I wanted more female friends. I wanted to be more social. But I absolutely did not want to be part of a group where everyone just partied and was exactly like me. What’s the point of that? I can drink by myself.

Yet here I am.

Here’s me on bid day looking like the nerd that I am

When I rushed, I picked a group of women who were nothing like me. They broke all of the preconceived notions in my head about Greek life. But these notions still pervade campus thought.

At the end of last semester a guest for the Hustler not-so-subtly called out Greek life when he overheard a member make a (bad) racist comment. And in doing so he lumped all of Greek life into a bunch of white “sorority girls,” failing to mention my closest friends – girls from Prague, who are part Asian, who have skin darker than the night and British accents.

The problem isn’t “diversity.” The problem is that no one on this campus is really talking. Instead, we throw around labels like it’s our job.

A Greek person categorized an entire race as “the blacks.” My amazing friend and sorority sister, Ayzsa Tannis, said that “It’s hurtful to realize people in our age and in our cohort are still like this… I don’t know. It’s disheartening for certain.” Ayzsa is black. And she is absolutely right.

But how is insinuating that thousands of Greeks are racist based off of one really shitty statement much better? We need to talk about why someone would say that, rather than write it off immediately as an unfixable character flaw.

As sorry as I am for that girl’s statement, this is not a letter of apology. As angry as I am about that statement, this is not a motion for hate. This is a call to action for each and every student at Vanderbilt. We need to stop blindly infantilizing each other with stereotypes.

Does a sorority mean we all think one specific way? Does the color of our skin mean we’re all the same?

I do apologize to the black community. It’s not fair that you have to do more. I don’t deny racism is inherent in our society. I don’t deny minorities suffer aggression every day from people who suck. But I absolutely deny that majorities or minorities are doing enough to change our mindsets. You know why? Because it’s hard.

Education events and social media posts about racism are easy. But these platforms won’t solve racism. Only we can internally stop stereotyping. And this takes a lot more effort than organizing a kumbaya on the lawn.

Groups at Vanderbilt can no longer pretend they are isolated

We can continue to fight hate with hate, stereotypes with stereotypes. But if so, violent “discourse” from both the minority and majority side of things will continue with limited attempts to understand each other.

Had I let my stereotype of Greek life prevent me from rushing, I would be short a few great friends.

Vanderbilt