Vanderbilt students should give yoga a chance

We all need to learn to relax and take some time for ourselves

I know that this may come as a shock to you all, but Vanderbilt students are stressed out. Every student I know is over-involved in classes, jobs, internships, organizations, clubs – the list goes on. It’s a wonder that we aren’t just all sleepwalking through life (shout-out to coffee for being the true hero).

We go to a top 15 school in the country and although we may be known as the happiest students in the nation, it’s completely natural for us all to admit that Vanderbilt can be damn stressful. And while coffee and late night study playlists may be helpful temporarily, there is a bigger problem that I would like to address.

I developed anxiety while at Vanderbilt and found myself for the first time having to add another item to my endless to-do list: self care.

There is a lot of active engagement around campus to dispel myths and stigmas surrounding mental health, but I thought I’d throw my hat in the ring and tell you about one of the secrets I’ve discovered to help my personal anxieties.

Warning: I plan to use the word gym below. Don’t freak out. We do have a gym at Vanderbilt and surprisingly it isn’t the worst place in the world where dreams and Chipotle guilt go to die. There is this super hip trend going on, which has actually been going on for over 5000 years, called YOGA.

Now I’m sure you’re picturing a bunch of “free spirits” chanting together in inhumane positions on a lawn. I have been going to yoga classes at the Vanderbilt Rec for almost a year now and that is not the case at all.

Carson Nunnally, a senior studying Communications, Corporate Strategy, and Violin Performance, is a regular at these classes as well.

She urged the Vanderbilt community to give yoga a try:  “If you’re someone who likes to work on things then this is for you. That’s the essence of academic life  – getting better and seeing improvement as you work.”  

GG, an instructor who has taught at Vanderbilt for 12 years and was the second yoga instructor in Nashville in 1964, calls to all students to come try a class or two.

She said: “There are plenty of class times and options, some classes are more for strength, some for balance, and some for relaxation.”

These are the benefits I have found through yoga that have greatly decreased my anxiety and helped me to feel better about listening to myself, physically and spiritually:

1. Community – You get to work in a group setting, which is great motivation and encouragement.
  2. Stress Management – This is a way of learning how to maintain calm even amidst the Vanderbilt chaos we all know so well.
  3. Focus – Yoga increases test scores and helps you concentrate
  4. Goal Building – It doesn’t matter how inflexible or out of shape you think you are. Yoga offers variations to every pose and you REALLY see improvement not even between classes but just between poses in one class.
  5. Self-love – This is your time to be with yourself. No distractions. Know thyself and whatnot.

We are all juggling a rigorous schedule and self-care often seems low on the priority list. The culture of academia has changed rapidly and anxiety and depression statistics are at an all-time high for our age group. Yoga is about the union of mind, body, and spirit.

You get to work on getting in tune with your body and breathing, really listening to where you’re at and where you’d like to go, in a metaphysical way of course.

Carson said: “It’s great for establishing peace. I always feel like butter afterwards!” 

Seriously, Yoga has crazy good benefits for everyone but it is PERFECT for keeping us Vandy students the happiest and smartest.

Take care of yourselves and check out a rec schedule for free classes!

Vanderbilt