How to nail your affordable fall wardrobe

Where to get clothes that are nice, but not too fancy for darties

Your wardrobe in college is a tricky situation. You want to look cute for the next day party, but you don’t want to cry yourself to sleep later that night after spilling marinara sauce all over the cashmere sweater you got for your birthday. We’ve all been there. Although after your first drink your “want” to wear those suede boots easily turns into your “need” to wear them. But try to resist those expensive temptations because once those booties are on, it’s a slippery slope.

That’s because in college you not only have to worry about your own behavior regarding your clothes, but you also have to take into account the multitude of stumbling students around every corner just waiting for a drink to slip out of their cup and onto your new dress. To avoid this clothing catastrophe, it’s best to order cool going out clothes that are also reasonably priced so you don’t have to act like a defensive lineman next time you feel like socializing.

Here’s a breakdown of some of the best sites for “college clothing” a.k.a. clothes that are not “I will never look at Becca the same way because of what she did to my suede shoes” expensive:

Revolve

If you don’t know about this website, you really really should. It has clothing that is on the more expensive end, but also medium to low-priced dresses, shoes, skirts, shirts and accessories. It’s kind of all over the spectrum price and designer wise, but there are definitely some great finds, especially if you want to use the filter by price tool in order to control yourself.

Brandy Melville

#brandyusa Hey Singapore, we just got new product come check it out at our orchard location ✨

A photo posted by Brandy Melville (@brandymelvilleusa) on Oct 28, 2016 at 7:33pm PDT

These clothes are definitely on the cheaper side, with tops, rompers, hoodies and skirts ranging between $16 and $40. The clothes are not top quality, but as long as you don’t wash them via harsh methods a lot, they should hold up for quite awhile. Also, Brandy Melville clothes are so incredibly comfortable, so if you’re feeling the “athleisure” movement, definitely check this site out.

ASOS

Let your jacket do the talking ? ? : 478761 ( ? : @zoey_kaay)

A photo posted by ASOS (@asos) on Aug 6, 2016 at 8:58am PDT

@asos_alice looking tres fashion week in NY. Check the off-the-shoulder action ??

A photo posted by ASOS (@asos) on Sep 25, 2016 at 10:12am PDT

ASOS is what I like to call a “scavenger site” – you’ll probably have to do a little digging to find what you want. Also, ASOS is super trend-oriented so it makes sense for consumers to not pay too much for their items, but it also means you might not be able to find more simple clothes or basics. ASOS also has specific clothes for petite and plus-sized shoppers so it’s easy for those who sometimes struggle with finding the right fit.

Threadsence

A photo posted by ThreadSence (@threadsence) on Oct 22, 2016 at 2:41pm PDT

This site is is branded as “California bohemian” offering “free-spirited clothing.” The style is definitely more bohemian but even if that’s not your vibe, the site still has some cheap basics and cute dresses, along with items that don’t scream “I’m part of a Facebook group protesting the pipeline.” The clothes are also low-priced, with most of their items below $65. Check it out for a new maxi dress or mini skirt.

Missguided

Get your coat ❄❄❄❄❄ Shop so much new outerwear RN | www.missguided.com #missguided #AW16 #newseason

A photo posted by MISSGUIDED (@missguided) on Oct 3, 2016 at 2:30am PDT

This is trendier street style wear, with prices ranging from about $20 to $100. You’ll definitely be able to find something for a night out in the city or a semiformal, if you’re looking for a more dressy event. They also have a huge inventory of everything from a zillion different types of tops like crop tops, body suits, bralettes, plunge tops and sweatshirts to so many other sections like chokers and platform heels.

Check out these sites and be sure to look up discount codes to make sure you’re getting the best deal possible! Happy Fall! Oh, and forgive Becca. Remember when you spilled pinot noir on her couch? Yeah, we’ve all been the enemy.

University of Virginia