We asked students about Hillary’s health issues

Do students think Hillary Clinton’s health will result in a victory for the Trump campaign?

Hillary Clinton’s attempt to cover up her pneumonia at Sunday’s 9/11 commemoration event in New York has sparked controversy as to whether or not Clinton is healthy enough to take on the role of the presidency. Clinton’s campaign claimed that she was overheated at the event; however, they later released a statement saying that she was diagnosed with pneumonia on Friday, Sept. 10th. We reached out students to ask them how they feel about Clinton’s white lie and whether or not it will affect her shot at the presidency, considering the most recent CNN poll concluded that she is polling at 7 points above Donald Trump.

Gabby Moreth, 3rd Year

“I don’t understand why she tried to hide it. While Trump and Clinton are both older candidates, having pneumonia does not make her look like a weaker candidate to me. In my opinion, falling from a heatstroke sounds weaker than having pneumonia, a disease which is not necessarily a sign of old age.”

Ali Hiestand, 3rd Year“I don’t think what happened should change anyone’s decision on who to vote for. From what I understand, she might not have known exactly what was wrong until later, and 90 minutes isn’t a long time to wait to give an update on her health, especially considering how much criticism she’s gotten. I can’t imagine how the stress and length of her schedule affects the immune system of someone who’s almost 70. I am 20, and I am sure that I would get sick all of the time from shaking hands, crowded spaces etc.”

Gordon Bailey, 2nd Year“I’m not necessarily worried about the lie itself, however I am more concerned about what the lie is covering up. The health of all presidential nominees is very important to me and should be equally concerning to all American citizens. Seeing Secretary Clinton literally stumble into a vehicle is not only shocking but also frightening. There is clearly something wrong with Secretary Clinton and pneumonia is definitely not the offender. Unfortunately, we have seen Clinton get away with far too many incriminating acts, and thus I believe that this health issue is going to be swept under the already filthy rug.”

Julia Warner, 3rd YearWhile I’m not a huge fan of either candidate, this won’t affect who I choose to vote for. However, I understand if people would factor this lie into their decision.”

Brittany Hill, 4th Year 

“I honestly don’t think the fact that Hillary has pneumonia is going to drive her devout supporters away. For those on the fence, I’m not so sure. However, it is worth noting that Hillary’s health is a private matter. I think the media is making a way bigger deal about it than they should be. Yes, she is sick. She’s human. She gets sick. But she’s still ferociously campaigning. At the end of the day, pneumonia is curable. For those doubting the fact that by her having a certain (temporary) illness will affect her reign should be reminded that FDR had polio, and many other presidents have experienced illness when they were in the Oval Office. So why does it matter that she does? Probably some sort of double standard in regards to her privacy. Of all the things that should be considered in regards to her ability to be president, this should not be one.”

University of Virginia