Why I’m OK with still being undecided at the end of my first year

One of the few first years who aren’t pre-comm or pre-med

“What’s your major?”

Ah, the ever dreaded question to an undecided student. And even more so at a school like UVA where it seems that the vast majority of students are one of two things: pre-med or pre-comm.

Going into UVA I knew many of my peers would have a career and major in mind, but nothing prepared me for the waves of pre-med students struggling with chemistry and hurrying to finish Aleks. Nor was I ready for the second-hand stress of my friends studying for their econ tests.

In the whirlwind of the major majority it’s hard to figure out where I fit in. I am currently a first year who came in undecided and is still very much undecided. I have no interest at all in the medical field or science at all to be honest, and I definitely am not passionate about commerce in any way.

So that leaves me on the tiny island of the major minority, the land of everything but pre-med and pre-com. I have met few other first years that meet this criteria, but we exist.

It’s hard, life on the island. Especially coming from a family that would love nothing more for me to become a doctor. Breaking the news to my mom that I had no desire to go to medical school I think was heartbreaking for her. The idea of her daughter becoming a doctor was always the only possibility in her mind and I wish I could make that dream come true for her, but that’s not who I am or what I see myself doing.

Then when my parents found out about the well-respected School of Commerce they saw an opening, a hope that maybe I would be passionate about economics or business and one day work on Wall Street. Once again I wish I could say that that’s who I am, but it isn’t. So, it’s really hard feeling like being part of the norm would make your family happy but knowing you’d be lying to yourself in the end.

Me (the not at all pre-med student) and my amazing mom (who wishes I was)

I’ve realized now that not knowing what I want to major in is not as worrisome as it was those first months of school. Although it’s sometimes suffocating to constantly hear the words “pre-med” and “pre-comm” being undecided is freeing. I can explore whatever catches my interest and just have the satisfaction that I’m learning to learn, not to meet some standard dictated by an application average.

Putting it into perspective, I’m finishing my first year of college and have the world in front of me. Whatever I choose to do with my life I know I’ll be doing it for myself and my own happiness. And if I somehow end up pre-comm or pre-med that’s OK too.

University of Virginia