To Write Love on Her Arms brings awareness to student suicide

1,100 college students commit suicide each year

Today, To Write Love on Her Arms and the Z Society decorated the Ampitheatre with black flags to raise awareness for suicide among college students. This is an annual event is funded by the Z Society.

It is a powerful tribute to the 1,100 College students who commit suicide each year. While grades or GPA are not the sole cause or stressor leading to depression, especially during this time of year, finals are an added pressure students face.

Semester long midterms are coming to an end and finals are just beginning. It’s time for cram sessions, going to that class you haven’t been to all semester to get the study guide, and incredibly long nights that turn into days.

With the lack of sleep and increased study time, emotions and stress also change. It is important to always remember that you as a person are worth more than a grade on piece of paper.

Always remember that you are not alone and that there is help for you if you need it.

Remember “to write love on her arms” and know that a kind or a negative word to someone can change someone’s life.

So show that girl crying on second floor chem that she is worth so much more. Show that guy nervously tapping his foot and running his hands through his hair in the Alderman stacks that he is worth so much more. Look in that mirror every morning and know that you are worth so much more. Because you are.

Stay happy, stay healthy, and good luck.

University of Virginia