Evaluating the ‘area code’ system

And you thought you just had to worry about your number from 1-10

If objectifying self-worth on a scale of 1-10 wasn’t already superficial enough, the other night I overheard a guy casually tell his friend, “She’s definitely a 767.”

Yes, people on grounds have actually transformed the standard 1-10 hot scale into an “area code” system combining “the three complex factors of sexual appeal.” The area code formula respectively measures the face, body, and personality.

We were curious if people actually used the area code system, and here’s what they said:

It helps keep you organized

“[After meeting a girl] sometimes I put their area code rating next to their real area code so I can later decide if I want to text them or not. So far I have two contacts like that.

“But getting a girl’s number is a marathon, not a sprint. The area code rating system gets the job done. Megan Fox – 998. Teresa Sullivan – 322. Personally, I’m a 757. That’s my area code, and it’s my ‘area code.'” – Griffin

It’s constructive criticism

“I’ve heard of ratings obviously, but I never knew the area code one existed. I think it’s hilarious, I mean, if you’re a 111 someone should probably reveal that to you. At the very least you can do something to improve the personality aspect.” – Courtney

It keeps the game competitive

“A good code means a good girl. I wouldn’t say it’s a deal breaker, but it definitely helps.” – Andrew

Personality is key

“I use it all the time, I mean if you’ve got a meh face and a dad bod I’ll still gladly let you buy me pizza as long as you were above a 7 on that last digit.” – Reade

Its comprehensive

“The area code system is used to basically replace and improve the ol’ 1-10 scale by removing some of the gray areas from the scale. It’s comprehensive… I honestly haven’t used it besides the time when I first heard about it where I went on a bit of a binge. We could be looking at zip codes or even social security numbers in the future.” – Matt

But not everyone shares the same enthusiasm

“This is exactly what is wrong with college society. The fact people put effort into combining a person into a three number combo is beyond me.” – Grace

“ I don’t really do that. My system sounds dumb, but usually I’ll sit somewhere with my friends and make awkward aggressive eye contact with someone and then yell ‘Pin.’ It’s somewhat effective in claiming people… Yeah, no shame.” – Anya

Maybe self-rating scales are making a comeback since Middle School. But we will let you decide.

University of Virginia