I’m a Christian who is trying to break through stereotypes

Don’t label me based on my religion

Hypocrite. Homophobic. Self-righteous. Judgmental. Intolerant. Ignorant. Christian.

For as long as I can remember, all of these words have lumped together.

Stereotypes are heavy on the heart, and my whole life of being a Christian has been filled with trying to come to terms with and combat these generalizations that are used to label me.

I am not saying that all people of my faith are free of intolerance, homophobic tendencies, judgmental attitudes, ignorance, or any of the previously listed words.

I have left a church because I found some individuals to go to church and do philanthropic activities to say that they did it. To appear that they are good hearted people. Yet they were sometimes the ones who gossiped the most and brought the most pain to the fellowship.

I have dealt with people who are so intolerant of other religions, sexual orientations, and even race, that the judgment they cast is black and white. But it is based on fiction and misunderstanding.

I have also had my fair share of individuals who think that because they read a verse in a bible they are made a Christian resulting in them being better than others. They believe that they have a right to judge others, which is something only God can do.

I have faced these struggles for a long time and I detest them with everything I have in me. However, it is unfair for me to be labeled the very same stereotypes that I try to combat every day.

I am no more of a Christian stereotype than a Black stereotype. Or a Jewish Stereotype. Or a Muslim stereotype. I am me. And I refuse to be labeled something I am not.

So here are the ways in which I am a walking antithesis of Christian stereotypes.

My senior send off from church

I am NOT a hypocrite

I have seen so many people in my previous churches being a completely different person outside of the Church than when they are in Church. You are not a Christian on Sunday from eleven to noon. The beliefs you read about and the ideas you say you follow should be followed always. In and out of the church. Not to say that mistakes do not happen, because they do. As humans we often fall short of the things we say we believe to be right. I am no exception to this. I fall short on a daily basis: I get mad over small things, I sometimes say very mean things to and about people that are not necessarily true, I cuss, and I only seem to result to prayer when I need something. I know these to be my faults and I try everyday to be better than I was the day before.

I am NOT Homophobic

I would be lying if I said that agree with homosexuality. However, I am not homophobic. Some of my dearest friends are gay or bi and they are some of the best people I have ever met. I continue to love them with everything I have because I am in no place to judge anyone or anything. And I choose to define people by their actions and what they say because that will always be the most important.

My mom and I at ‘Women of Faith’

I am NOT self-righteous.

This stereotype is just plain dumb. I do not view myself as above anyone. I honestly don’t know what else to say here. My faith does not make me think that those who believe differently are inferior to me.

I am NOT intolerant

This one just makes me mad. Everyone has a right to do, say, act, believe, smell, eat whatever he or she wants. It is not my job to say what is right and what is wrong. My job is to show love, understanding, compassion, and forgiveness to everyone around me.

I am NOT ignorant

I love to learn about other cultures. I love to learn about other religions. The world is a diverse place full of so many different views and ways of life. I find some to be absolutely beautiful. I find some to go against everything I believe in. However, I pride myself in knowing enough about the world to strengthen my own views. Avoiding things that challenge by beliefs would mean that I view them to be unstable, which I don’t.

Before Christmas eve service

I AM a Christian

I love everyone around me. I want to love myself and know that I am worth saving. I want to help others. I want to have the capacity to forgive those who have caused me immense pain. I want to have the capability to ask for forgiveness when I am wrong. I want to be able to stand back up after I stumble. I want to be okay with the fact that I am not perfect and that no one else is perfect either.

Most of all, I want to have faith in God that people will see me in the light I have chosen to shine. Not the light someone else says must be cast.

University of Virginia