A tribute to first year

Hate or love it there’s nothing quite like it

With the school year coming to a close, students of every year are looking back on the past two semesters with immense nostalgia. But First Year is truly unique in the sense that you can get away with many things while being at the bottom of the food chain.

There’s really no year quite like it, and no matter how many times you look back on First Year memories and shake your head, it has a soft spot in your heart.

With that being said, here are some infamous #justFirstYearthings…

“O-Hill and Chill”

Dear Old O-Hill is the most central dining destination for the average First Year student (sorry @Gooch), and most of us have either a love-hate or hate-hate relationship with it, depending on your tolerance for food that is consistently bad. But it will forever hold a special place in our hearts for a few reasons:

• This is where you discovered your love for ice milk
  • Double-swipe Dean
  • You get to run into your past hookups when you look your worst!
  • You’ve vomited in the bathroom on your way to class
  • You’ve been on some awkward dates there…only if you’re lucky!
  • You straight up refused to go there ever so you can’t relate to any of these

Crossroads/The Castle

Bless both of these establishments for being slightly more reliable than the dining halls and for keeping us full late into the night. You probably go way more than you should, but you aren’t ashamed. And who doesn’t love running from the Corner on a weekend to make it back before Meal Exchange ends? (Those chicken tenders are a must.)

First Year summed up in a text

Trin DFMOs

By the end of First Year you’ve probably come to the realization that the third floor of Trin is where all true romances are born…right?! But in all seriousness, this is something most of us have experienced at some point or another and likely regret.

Gooch-Dillard

“It’s not really that far…I mean, there are buses…” Just gonna leave that one there.

(Shout-out to Runk though!!)

Hopping the fence to get into Coupes

When your fake hasn’t come in the mail yet but you have serious FOMO.

Getting lost in Alderman stacks

As beautiful and serene as they are, the stacks are nearly impossible to navigate if you don’t know what you’re doing. I was once 10 minutes late to class because I couldn’t find my way out. Just when you think you’ve found the right door, it’s actually an emergency exit.

Dorm-cest

Because who doesn’t love hooking up with someone only to realize they live just one floor below you? Good news, you get to see them probably every day for the rest of the year 🙂

Getting written up

“No drinking in First Year dorms,” they said. “You will get in trouble,” they said. But that doesn’t stop some people…

Those preppy Convocation pics with your hall-mates

Remember when your RA made you pose like this?

The first time guys broke out their button-downs and bow ties and girls put on their best sundresses – and definitely not the last.

Having to Uber home from the Corner after a long night

“Whhhyy are dorms soooo farrrr from everythingggg?” – probably you as a drunk First Year at the end of a night out. Props to you if you can figure out Rider and catch the last Outer Loop before it leaves the Chapel. Bigger props if you can walk all that way home, especially in the middle of February.

*cringes looking at receipt the next morning*

Going out in groups of 30

Everyone loves that first month of school when you still haven’t quite narrowed down your closest friends, so you knock on essentially every door in your dorm to rally your “squad” before you roll out (you know them all super well). Pro-tip: frat bouncers and bus drivers really like this!

Wandering Rugby Road

On your first night out at UVA, you most likely have no idea what you’re doing or where you’re going. We all need a little visual assistance, especially with over 30 frat houses to locate.

You definitely had this map pulled up on your phone at some point or another…

Having phone contacts that you don’t remember getting

Whether it’s someone you got with or that girl who helped you fix your makeup in the bathroom, you’ve definitely woken up the next morning with some “new friends” in your contacts. But did you text them? Prolly not.

Having to puke in a communal bathroom

Hopefully you at least have the decency to clean it so maintenance doesn’t have to. And please, please don’t puke in the showers.

ENWR

It seems as though your first writing requirement can be super interesting and an easy A or the total bane of your existence. Nevertheless, it’s one of those classes that seems to have every First Year talking…and usually complaining.

Getting sexiled

“My roommate’s gone for the night,” AKA you probably sent them a passive-aggressive text three minutes ago telling them you’re gonna need the room for the night. Shout-out to hall-mates for always having available floor space!

Unlimited Meal Plan!

Only because you’re forced to have one…and you’re too far from the Corner to actually enjoy the food there.

Changing your profile picture to you and Cavman

So UVA! Much spirit! Go sports!!

University of Virginia