A ‘thank you’ to the seniors of the Men’s Basketball team

‘If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together’

Post-season wrap ups are usually done as soon as that season ends. However, over the past two days I have cried, avoided oranges like the plague, and been drinking instead. My heart was broken when that buzzer sounded and it is only now starting to heal.

Even though I am struggling to mend my heart and crushed dreams, I cannot imagine what our players are going through. My heart reaches out to them as I know what it is like to barely miss your tournament championship.

This article is to thank them. Thank them for the amazing experience they have given me this season. Thank them for being outstanding and classy role models for everyone. Thank them for allowing crazy people like me to cheer them on and get dirty looks when doing so in a public place. And thank them for making me proud to be a fan of the UVA Men’s basketball team.

Even more so, this article is a cheers to what has yet come. Our past shines bright and our future shines brighter.

Tony Bennett

First, there is Tony Bennett. Besides being the George Clooney of March Madness, he is an outstanding coach. Bennett already won every award possible in our hearts but now, even more people are noticing his outstanding coaching. He was voted ACC Coach of the Year (even though he is Coach of the Year every year here at UVA). He stands on his five pillars and creates men who are champions on and off the court. Tony Bennett is returning yet again (and most likely with a bigger paycheck). A well deserved one, at that.

Malcolm Brogdon

Malcolm Brogdon is a name that every one knows. No matter what team you cheer for. He was, for the first time ever in the same season, ACC Player of the Year and ACC Defensive Player of the Year. He also received the Wooden First All-American Team Award (not for the first time). Brogdon’s trophy case keeps expanding but more importantly, his fans will never forget him and will never stop loving him for the amazing player and person that he is.

Anthony Gill

Anthony Gill, whether you like his hair or not, is lacing up his shoes for a chance to impress NBA evaluators – he’ll be playing in Reese’s College All-Star Game on Friday. Given his talent and outstanding leadership skills, it is unlikely he won’t. Additionally, a congratulations goes out to him and his fiance who are due to be married on April 8th.

Mike Tobey

It has never failed that every time I was in the stands I heard: “Come on Tobey” or “Dude, Tobey only has to stand to touch the rim.” However, I always had a soft spot for Tobey. He always seemed to pull through when we needed him. He is an amazing player, which he proved so many times through out the tournament and his career. I loved watching him play and I know I am not the only one.

Evan Nolte

Evan Nolte was known for his threes. A fan could always expect to be on the edge of their seats when he was in. If he was on the three point shots were racked up and even if he had an off game his funny faces never disappointed.

Off the court, he also has one of the strongest Twitter games known. So, even if he won’t be walking around grounds, you can still follow him wherever he goes. Literally.

Caid Kirven

Caid Kirven may not have played all that much but he gave UVA an amazing gift. One that will live on forever in the hearts of fans: the best meme EVER.

The future holds so much promise: Perrantes, Wilkins, Shayok, Salt, Hall, and Thompson are all returning. Kyle Guy, who seems to be the future of Hoo basketball, is coming to grounds.

More importantly, the returning players have played under the phenomenal leadership and guidance of Gill, Brogdon, Tobey, and the returning Perrantes, and success is bound to keep coming.

So thank you, seniors. We wish you every bit of happiness and luck in your future. Let us raise a class to the future that is drenched in great potential, talent, and success.

I still hold that the Cavaliers will forever be the best team. #HoosForever

University of Virginia