Why you should ignore statistics and just enjoy basketball

‘We all know that Americans love their statistics – in sport, obviously, and in finance too’ -Evan Davis

This year’s March Madness Tournament has given a whole new meaning to the word “madness.”

The thing about sports is that spectators and analyst think statistics mean something.

Seven upsets in the first round alone knocked out California, Arizona, Baylor, Texas, West Virginia, Purdue, and Michigan State.

Leaving no single bracket perfect.

In the Round of 32, Kentucky, Xavier, and Utah were all sent packing. In the second round nine of the sixteen games were within a ten-point spread. Some of those games coming down to last second such as Notre Dame and Texas A&M.

The Sweet 16 should be no exception to the madhouse.

As statistics and predictions have been coming across my iPhone screen this past week, I have seen so many predictions. Some have caused anger. Some pride. In the end though, they are meaningless. *Cough cough* UVA is not the most vulnerable number one seed, because every team is equally as vulnerable.

Each game is a new game and a new game means new stats. Each game means one winner. Each game ends with one loser. And in tournament play, only one thing matters: the ability to play one more game.

Statistics are worthless.

So instead of watching a panel of guys talk about the rankings and statistics of each team, I am going to sit here and play the basketball game hidden in Facebook Messenger.

I am going to wear my UVA Sweet 16 shirt with pride on Friday.

I am going to yell like crazy while watching the game and possibly scare a few people in the process.

I am going to enjoy basketball. In the end, that is all that matters.

University of Virginia