Fifth year needs your help for boyfriend’s critical surgery

The surgery is scheduled for tonight

Katie Drew Thompson, a fifth year in the Batten School, is asking for the help of the Wahoo community.

Her boyfriend, Emilio Jose, is in need of surgery and she is asking for our help to raise the funds. Emilio is from a town called Batey Libertad in the Dominican Republic. He is the son of Haitian immigrants, and because of the darker color of his skin has been discriminated against his whole life.

Katie writes, “People of Haitian descent in the Dominican are systematically deprived of legal employment, higher education, and health insurance.

“Here lies my plea. On Saturday, February 27, Emilio was hit by a van while driving his moto. He suffered a bad concussion, resulting in a brain bleed, and has a broken hip. Help me help him raise the money he needs to cover uninsured hospital bills, including surgery to fix his broken hip.

“For the past three years, no one has brought more joy to my life. Anything helps.”

They are extremely close to their goal and have schedule the surgery for this evening. However, any donations help as there will be recovery costs outside of surgery.

You can contribute here.

University of Virginia