It shouldn’t be a bad thing that I don’t drink

I come from the sober rebel alliance

No doubt drinking alcohol is a cherished past-time for many students at UVa. What with all the bars on the Corner and parties that go on, it’s easy to get sucked into that scene.

But what if you decide to remove yourself from this ‘culture’? In other words, what if you don’t drink, for reasons religious, or otherwise?

Here’s a clue: you automatically become a part of the minority. It becomes harder to fit in, because alcohol for many college students is an important part of social interaction. And it’s true – those who don’t drink alcohol are only helping to exclude themselves, but I believe any reason for wanting to be sober is legitimate.

But let’s not make generalizations. Within the group of non-drinkers, there are two sub-categories: those who still go out, and those who decide not to go out in the first place and avoid everything altogether. I come in the latter (sure, maybe you don’t really care about where I place myself, but YOLO).

Now for those of you who can relate, you know how it is:

• Water. Or juice/milk. Or non-martini drinks that LOOK like martinis

You have no idea what’s in this glass

• You barely attend birthday parties, regardless of whether or not you’re a social butterfly (especially if you’re in sub-category #2).
  • You have real reasons to dislike alcohol, but often times media glorifies it.
  • There are always new studies talking about the benefits of different alcoholic drinks, and you’re just like, PLEASE STOP.
  • You’re never part of the stories of the night something went down.

There are definitely, however, benefits to being sober 24/7:

• You’re sober 24/7. I really can’t emphasize that enough.

Yes, there really is WATER in my water bottle

I make my decision based on religious principles. And I’ve grown to dislike the culture surrounding alcohol the more I’ve seen it. But that’s just my perspective on the matter. Some of my friends drink, but I choose not to. And even my closest friends understand where I come from, and yet they respect me for my choices.

And I’m not making the claim that every person who drinks is an alcoholic, either. All I’m saying is that sometimes, when you’re not part of something that’s extremely common, it’s harder to become involved in the ways that work for you. So you have to MAKE it work. You have to make being sober look fun when others think it’s boring.

Within our community, we need to accept the fact that not everyone is going to adhere to every norm/tradition. I won’t ever in a million years streak any lawn (I’m veiled…). That doesn’t mean I’m not a UVA student. It just means that I define my time at UVA differently than some.

We shouldn’t make fun of people who do not want to drink. “Loosening up” does not have to equate with doing things against your own personal principles. In fact, it means being extra creative with how you spend your time.

And that’s not such a bad thing.

University of Virginia