Fourth years weigh in about Sarah Drew as Valediction speaker

‘Who is Sarah Drew?’ – Alex Berr

This past Monday, the Fourth Year Trustees announced the 2016 Valediction speaker. For those that did not automatically Google her after they heard the news here is a briefing:

She graduated UVA in ’02 with a degree in drama and then went into acting. She has appeared on TV shows including Grey’s Anatomy, Mad Men, Glee, and Medium.

But how do most fourth years feel about it?

“I feel pretty underwhelmed and I had to look her up to know who she was.” – Shawn Gregor

“Minor actress on a minor show?” – Alex Ripley

“I would have preferred someone who could speak to navigating the world we are about to enter… An author, a humanitarian, even a businessperson.” – Mariel Sullivan

“I don’t trust people whose names make a sentence.” – Lanie Cohen

This is the bland enthusiasm from most students, but Taylor Camper, a big Grey’s Anatomy fan said, “I’m super excited, I love her so much. She shows the success UVA grads can have no matter what path they choose.”

Sarah Drew doesn’t bring the same “big bang” of excitement as speakers in the past have. Stephen Colbert, Peyton Manning, and Ed Helms are just some of the big names graduation proceedings have hosted.

However, none of those big names actually attended UVA.

“I think it’s sort of fitting that so many UVA students are feeling slighted because we’re not getting some spectacular speaker. We feel entitled about everything else so why should the valediction speaker be an exception?” Kaity Vance said.

Drew is a Charlottesville born-and-bred Hoo. She got married in the Chapel here for crying out loud – only the insane UVA fans do that. She knows about late night Clem, Bodo’s, and how tough it actually is here.

“Sarah Drew was incredibly receptive to our class and shows so much enthusiasm to return to her alma mater. Her experiences at our University and talent as an actress are going to lend for a brilliant speech,” said Harmony Pham.

And for all of you feminists, she is a successful woman. Oh, and she’s also a very attractive ginger.

Jamie Shalvey said, “I think it’s good she went to UVA! Also I guess before our first year there were only boring politicians, and it’s super hard to get celebrities to come.

“The graduation committee’s been working really hard on finding someone for ten months, so I’m pretty excited that we got someone who went to UVA, is a good public speaker, and is famous!”

Echoing Jamie’s thoughts, Sarah Caruso said, “I’m excited that she’s a former Hoo. I am looking forward to all the UVA inside jokes she’ll be able to make in her speech. She has a lot to live up to after Ed Helms so I hope she’s up to the challenge.”

Whether you are a drama scholar, nurse, Grey’s Anatomy fan, or just every other fourth year bitter about graduating, Sarah Drew will be our Valediction Speaker for 2016.

Gillian Gardner and Mandy Cronin suggested we “Petition to bring McDreamy with her,” but either way it will likely be awesome.

University of Virginia