All the things that can go wrong when traveling during a snowstorm

And how to make it into a drinking game

You’re flying out on Thursday, you’ll be fine, they said. You’ll miss the snowstorm, they said. Don’t worry about it, your bus can’t possibly be cancelled, they said.

They were wrong.

On Thursday afternoon I flew out of New York to Durham, North Carolina to eventually end up in Charlottesville. Despite the fact that the snowstorm of the year was headed to the East Coast, I flew out before the snow actually started, and so it was smooth sailing.

LOOK AT ALL THE SUN

That was the last time things went smoothly. From now on, every time something goes wrong in my travel plans, please take a shot. It will make this entire story a lot more bearable.

Your bus is cancelled

Makes sense, my bus was later in the evening. I will book an earlier bus.

Please note the sun and lack of snow

Shot count: 1

Your earlier bus is cancelled

OK, I am very frustrated, but not the end of the world. It’s only three hours from Durham to Charlottesville. I’ll call on a friend to come pick me up.

Shot count: 2

Your friend arrives late so you have to leave after it’s already started snowing

So the original plan was to leave before the snow actually started falling from the sky, but hey, it’s only the beginning, we’ll be fine.

Shot count: 3

The car breaks down after two hours of driving

Womp. Luckily, there is a police officer a few minutes behind you who drives up to ask you if you’re “Broken down, or what?”

After confirming that you have broken down, he gets behind the car and pushes it with his own car into a parking lot.

He calls a tow truck.

Shot count: 4

The tow truck shows up but the driver informs you they won’t fix the car for a week at least

Awesome.

They did drop us off at a motel, however, so at least we have a place to sleep.

Luxurious

Shot count: 5

You are in Gretna, VA

Where is Gretna, you ask? I have no idea. I stayed there for over 48 hours and I still have no. idea.

Gretna, VA

Shot count: 6

You have no food

So you take a stroll over to a Food Lion in the middle of a blizzard and buy some turkey and bread.

Remember those neighbors you made fun of for running out to get bread and milk and eggs? I have more respect for them now.

Dinner

We used tupperware tops as plates

Shot count: 7 

You have wine but no bottle opener

It’s OK, I always wanted to try that whole “opening a bottle of wine with a shoe” thing anyway.

Fancy glassware, too

Shot count: 8 (plus wine)

You find a cab to give you a ride but it also breaks down

After sleeping in Gretna for an evening, you finally find a cab that agrees to take you to Charlottesville for an exorbitant amount of money.

However he then calls you two hours later saying he drove into a ditch.

Shot count: 9

You are stuck in Gretna for another evening

There’s really nothing else to say about this.

I watched The Fast & The Furious on a TV the size of my head. I would suggest to not do this.

Shot count: 10

You find another cab to drive you but it costs you $300

FINE I WILL LITERALLY PAY YOU WHATEVER TO GET ME OUT OF GRETNA

Shot count: 11

The hotel you are staying in cancelled your reservation

Alright, even though I did not cancel my own reservation, and I am now going to need a place to stay in Charlottesville for an evening, the hotel has decided to cancel it themselves.

And they are fully booked.

And they can’t give me a refund because I booked through Hotels.com.

This was my view so I can’t complain too much

Shot count: 13 (take two here for stress relieving purposes)

Your flight back to New York is moved from Monday to Tuesday

Pro: Another day in Charlottesville

Con: Another $100 in hotel fees

The types of photos that happen when you try to drink away the memory of Gretna

I feel like this snowman at this point

Shot count: 14 (plus approximately eight Bold Rocks, one Wahoo from Boylan and a pickleback)

They rebooked you incorrectly so you sit at the airport for four hours

You then proceed to consume as many Bold Rocks as possible while sitting next to a sea of other people whose flights have been fucked with.

What else to do but take pics from the airport

Shot count: 15

You have a 20 minute layover in Charlotte and have a heart attack trying to run to your connecting flight

May or may not have pushed over a couple old ladies and stomped over small children, but God damn it I GOT ON THAT FLIGHT

Shot count: 16

If you’re still alive at the end of this, congratulations. You can survive anything.

University of Virginia