The majority of UVA students are breaking the law

For once it’s not about alcohol or fakes

It has come to my recent attention the Virginia government is doing what American governments do best – this little thing called “unsuccessfully trying to determine who each person has sex with and under what conditions.”

The saga continues while the Virginia state statute 18.2-344 (created in 1950) remains in place, making it technically still illegal to have sex outside of marriage.

Yeah, you read that right. Unmarried couples, regardless of sexuality, cannot legally have sex in the lovely state of Virginia. So unless you’re a freshman boy, this probably applies to you.

A statute of Virginia law entitled “fornication” claims “any person, not being married, who voluntarily shall have sexual intercourse with any other person, shall be guilty of fornication, punishable as a Class 4 misdemeanor.”

This kind of misdemeanor won’t get you any jail time, but it could land you a fine of up to 250 dollars.

You married though?

Even though this statute was struck down in the Virginia Supreme Court in 2005, it hasn’t yet been repealed.

Democrats created a proposal to do just that, but it was rejected in February 2014 regarding concerns of loopholes for other sex “morality” crimes.

Many prior forums to this article argue this statute doesn’t matter because it’s not necessarily enforced.

I’m not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that all laws are held to the same degree of legality. A law is a law. If you don’t want it enforced, repeal it. And while this ridiculous statue remains on the books, there’s a chance people (read: especially those of minority sexualities) can be legally prosecuted for it.

Honestly though, I can’t say I’m surprised this law exists in Virginia, considering when I wanted to buy a vibrator in Cvegas, my only choice was Spencer’s.

However, I have high hopes. Maybe the Virginia legislature will come to their senses this year. Maybe 2016 will be the year that we can finally leave a bar to have consenting sex with another human and only be fined for public intoxication.

That’s what I call living the American dream. Happy New Year, everyone.

University of Virginia #virginia hookup hookup culture laws sex uva