I rescued two rabbits from a life of cruelty in a fraternity

The bunnies attended Boys Bid Night and made guest appearances at Trinity

An animal-loving third year raised two pet rabbits after rescuing them from a group of fraternity brothers who kept them in a laundry basket and took them on trips to Trinity.

Civil engineering major Tatevik Markaryan came to the rescue of Belle and Bianca, the rabbits, after receiving a snapchat of one of them in a sauce pan on the stove.

And she provided them with a life filled with kale and open spaces at her Northern Virginia home.

Belle in a sauce pan

She told The Tab: “I immediately went over to the apartment and found the two bunnies in a bin that would normally be used to hold clothing or books with a few cloths on the bottom of it and a small food and water bowl that had not been cleaned in a while.”

A bunny-owner herself, Tatevik knew the rabbits were anxious, and scurried out to purchase a proper cage, food, hay, and a litter box to set up their new home.

Belle and Bianca were treated as members of the fraternity, attending Boys Bid Night and making guest appearances at Trinity – a popular tool to help the brothers get women in bed.

Irresponsible pledges were the ones assigned the duty of taking care of these two adorable pets, resulting in borderline cruelty.

Upset that their rabbit brothers had been taken, the fraternity assigned the task of retrieving them to some pledges at a chapter meeting.

Tatevik reluctantly agreed to return them, but set the terms that they could see the rabbits only if they were returned to her within the hour.

After four hours, Tatevik’s friend called to inform her the brothers had the bunnies in a smoke filled room, and one of them would not come out from underneath a couch.

Outraged, Tatevik brought the two innocent creatures to her Northern Virginia home, where they would be well attended to in a smoke, and Trinity, free environment.

But the animals’ hopes of a peaceful life were dashed by an unexpected tragedy, when Belle lost his life during what should have been a routine spaying operation.

“I cried for a day and a half about it. I was so sad because I loved him so much. I felt very guilty because I took these bunnies out of what I thought was a bad situation, but then in my hands one of them died,” Tatevik said.

Bianca is alive and well, occasionally sleeping in Tatevik’s mom’s room, waking up to fresh kale, and the reality of a frat-bro-free life.

University of Virginia #virginia animals bunny fraternity rabbit university of virginia uva