Can whoever is setting off the fire alarm at the Flats PLEASE stop?

The noise reduced residents to tears

Sirens blared. Babes wept. It had happened once again.

On a night of frustration on West Main, the alarms at the Flats wailed out for the twelfth time this semester, sounding for 40 minutes, and only falling silent at 1am.

“I cried because it stressed me out so much,” second year Ansley Martinez told The Tab. “I have to rearrange my sleep schedule now.”

The Flats seemed wonderful to new residents – with their sparkling gym, their dazzling pool, and the brand new Starbucks coffee maker in the lobby.

Flats residents during happier times.

We know better now. As the events of Monday night confirm, the complex is an insomnia-trap for the already sleep-deprived student body.

What makes matters worse is the fact that these incidents are completely random. And not only has the alarm epidemic deprived Wahoos of their sleep, but it has also deprived them of their dignity.

Inhabitants find themselves going downstairs at 6am and forgetting to put on pants. “I had a long sweatshirt on, thank goodness,” Ansley said.

The Flats spoil their residents, perhaps to keep them quiet about the alarms.

Others were not as lucky. “It always gets awkward because I sleep in the nude and am always super disoriented when the alarm goes off,” said a nearby roommate. “So more than once I’ve left the apartment in sheer panic wearing nothing except my entire duvet.”

Research reveals that the problem is not entirely new. Mackenzie Magaro, third year Comm School student, reached out to inform me that faulty fire alarms plagued her last year as well. “Every time it goes off, I just think, ‘are you FUCKING kidding me?’”

University of Virginia fire alarm uva flats uva the tab uva university of virginia uva