I volunteer to help orphans in Austin and China

Working for the children, here and abroad

Texas China Care is a local non-profit, student run organization that aims at helping orphans both locally in Austin and those in China.

With the enforcement of China’s “single-child” policy and traditional pressures to have a male child, children are being given up, and students are helping fight the practice.

I signed up for Texas China Care because of what it stood for. Being born in China and growing up in a community with strong Chinese cultural roots, I had wanted something similar here in college.

Texas China Care raises money through panhandling, bake sales, and talent shows. At the end of the academic year, they send the money to organizations abroad to create equal opportunities academically for orphans and become integrated into a community with their peers.

I hope you all become inspired to get involved too, whether through service or donations.

The Benefit Night

This last Friday, Texas China Care hosted their seventh annual benefit night, a concert of mixed performances ranging from K-Pop Dancers to acoustic Ukulele players.

It gives UT artists a chance to show off their talents. Audience members vote for the best act by donating money for the preferred group.

The money at the end of the day helps fund our efforts in helping orphans from China in the local area as well as abroad. It was a great experience working backstage to help coordinate everything and listening to all the acts.

Working with the Kids

Sunday was the first chance I got to meet kids adopted kids from China. Their parents want them to be around people of a similar backgrounds, and so we meet with these kids biweekly and bring in musicians, arts and crafts, as well as play games with them.

It’s astounding to see the joy that these kids have, in an almost inspirational way.

So next time you see these guys around, whether at a table promoting their organization or selling baked goods to raise money, try and swing by.

They might just inspire you to donate and get involved.

Seeing the kids can do that as well.

UT Austin national-us