Vote: Which is the best dining hall at UT?

The ultimate question

Eating at the dining halls becomes essential when you’re a Longhorn living on-campus, whether you’re too lazy to walk to the Drag or zeroed out your debit card. But the real question is which one do you pick?

This inside scoop will help you decide by considering food variety, price, and taste to help you make this vital decision with a highly technical ice cream cone rating system.

Cypress Bend Café seems to be all about personal customization. There are a lot of options available for different preferences. Salads, sandwiches, and hamburgers can be customized to your taste.

$7.29 for a salmon burger.

$6.70 for a custom salad.

Although it is a bit more pricey, maybe on par with Jester City Limits, the food is made pretty well. It is definitely worth a try.

$4.10 for eggs, country potatoes, a sausage patty, and a biscuit with gravy.

If you are close by and have Dine In Dollars to spend, Jester City Limits is a great option. It is definitely the priciest for the amount and quality of food you get. Their food selection also runs on a cycle, possibly making it boring to eat there often.

However, it is in a very convenient location for a lot of on-campus students and attempts to cater students’ different tastes (Asian food, American food, Mexican food, wraps, salad and desserts).

J2 Dining is one of two buffet type locations on campus. Both locations are hot spots for students because of the great amount of food you can get for one price.

Unlimited food for lunch for only $4.60.

“Solid food at a great price for a college student.” -Emmanuel Soriano

The food variety is great, just like Jester City Limits, by having different types of cuisines. The line for hamburgers seems to be quite popular and lots of students enjoy the J2 pizza compared to Kinsolving.

Littlefield Patio Café is a great little place for for some quick to-go food. The lines are always short and for a small place, it has a great variety of food.

The food is really good and there is a different selection for each meal of the day. Littlefield is a definitely a great place to go if you are nearby and need a quick bite to eat.

About $5.60 for a customized wrap.

“The seating outside Littlefield is really cool because you can eat good food when the weather is nice.” – Stephen Nachazel

Like J2, Kinsolving is also just $4.60 for lunch. Kinsolving’s salad bar has many more options to customize and make it fit your palette. It also has a lot of entree options that students enjoy and come back to often throughout the week.

Although it is not part of the judging criteria, Kinsolving has a very nice layout. All the food is in one open area and can be seen at once, making lines more efficient and keeping them away from seating areas.

UT Austin