‘I just want to empower people’: Meet USC singing sensation BAUM

She’s got the best of both worlds

Ever since “Hannah Montana” premiered in 2006, lots of us have dreamed about living a double life where we go to school by day and build a music career by night. Sabrina Teitelbaumor BAUM, as she may become better knownis actually living that dream.

The newly 20 year-old New York City native spends her day-to-day studying songwriting at USC’s esteemed Thornton School of Music. Once classes are over, she goes and puts what she’s learning to use, playing gigs in the LA area and recording music.

Her first single, aptly titled “First”, just dropped and an EP is soon to follow.

The Tab USC recently chatted with the singer-songwriter to learn more about her inspirations, new music and the future of her career amidst its promising beginnings.

So, how has balancing a budding music career and college classes been for you?

I thought it was going to be harder than it is, because I was trying to start working in high school, which has difficult because I went to a very academic school, and USC is very academic too. But I do feel like I have enough time to get it done, because gigging and stuff is at night and most of my classes are in the morning. There are certain sacrifices though, I guess. I don’t go to as many parties as the traditional college student would.

Was music always the dream then?

Yeah, I mean, it has been for my whole life. I meet a lot of people who say they discovered it later, but it was always the thing for me. I started writing when I was about eight and I didn’t have a computer, but my dad let me borrow his laptop to do it. I started out as a listener and doing the whole singing-in-the-mirror-thing for a while. Then I started singing in the car and my family was like ‘oh, you can actually sing the melody’. The praise from my family turned into a confidence thing and I just kept going with it. Partially because of that and also because it’s what I love to do. 

You said you started out as a listener, so who would you say are your biggest musical influences that came out of that?

OK, well I pretty much listen to what my dad listened to. A lot of classic rockEric Clapton, David Bowie and the Rolling Stones. I got into indie music when I was older.

Who are you currently listening to?

“22, a Million” by Bon Iver. I listened to it on an iPhone speaker when it first came out and even then I was blown away. I also listen to a lot of Frank Ocean— his album “Blonde”. Those would be the main two records from the past year. 

How would your describe your personal sound?

When I have to describe it in terms of a genre I would say dark pop. There’s a lot of electro-pop influences and R&B in there and I feel dark pop encompasses that. 

You just dropped your single, ‘First’, which sounds like it comes from a really honest place in regard to your personal/romantic life. When writing songs, is that the first place you tend to gravitate towards?

Yes, if I’m writing by myself that is the place I typically go to, because that’s the easiest place to draw from emotionally if you’ve gone through the experience yourself. And it’s not all about romancefamily, internal stuff, being a woman… I have one song coming out about being a woman that I’m really excited about. 

On that note, what are your favorite songs off the EP we should be looking out for?

“This Body”, which is the one I was just mentioning. I’m really excited to put it out because I do a lot of ballad-y songs and this one is more fun for me to perform. 

I also wrote another song with my folk-singer friend Madison Douglass called “Hot Water”. It kind of has a Haim vibe— it’s more electra and dance-y than the others. The producer I worked with on that one actually graduated from USC.

You have a great stage presence. Has performing for others always come easy to you?

Well, first of all thank you, but no. That has been the hardest thing for me in music, hands-down. Getting on stage and feeling comfortable was difficult for me. Eventually I was like I can’t be an audience member and a performer at the same time. I can’t be judging myself from their perspective. I can’t be worried about being awkward and still have fun. If I’m uncomfortable, it makes the people watching uncomfortable. 

What’s your favorite part about being on stage?

I think my favorite part is feeling like I have the attention of the people watching and feeling like it’s an exchangefeeling like you have an actual connection with people. That really is the best thing, even though it’s cliché.

Do you have a dream gig or collaboration?

It’s really funny that you asked me that, because I just had breakfast with my boyfriend and we were literally asking each other to name three dream collaborations. When he asked me I said Bon Iver; Frank Ocean and Kanye— maybe both of them together; and Daughter or maybe Kurt Vile— someone more indie. Probably Kurt Vile. 

In terms of a dream gig it can go one of two ways, because I’ve always dreamed of playing a big festival outdoors. It sounds so organic. But also my favorite thing to sing in the world are love songs like Motown and cheesy stuff like Celine Dion that anyone would laugh at in a concert. But I would like to perform them at, like, at a wedding— just for a personal thing. At a wedding everyone’s happy, you’re celebrating love and the beginning of a new type of relationship and I could sing as many beautiful love songs as I want. 

What are you most excited about for your career going forward?

Just being able to collaborate with other artists. I’d love to be in a circle of other artists I can collaborate with who are in different genres. People like Justin Vernon, which is kind of impossible right now, but one day. Also just to being able to be on the road more, since as a student my life is very rooted.

Lastly, what do you want to be known for?

That’s a tough one. I think I just want to empower people. Whether at a live show or just listening to a record, empowering people, especially women, through my lyrics would be great.

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

University of Southern California