Alumnus arrested in Leavey Library after failing to provide a student ID

Seven DPS cars arrived at the scene

Right before the marching band played their daily “finals set” at 10 p.m., a male in a USC t-shirt was arrested on the second floor of Leavey Library after failing to show a USC ID. According to a student worker in the library, the male was an alumnus of the university.

After 9 p.m., USC libraries are open only to students and alumni with a university-issued ID card. Anyone without a USC ID after that time is not allowed inside of the library. Student workers also check the IDs of everyone already inside of the library and those who cannot provide proper identification are asked to leave the building.

The arrested alumnus did not have a valid student or alumni ID in possession and he refused to leave the library, which prompted the student workers to call DPS. Students in the library confirmed that the man had a verbal confrontation with DPS officers that caused a scene. According to DPS, the man resisted arrest.

Eventually, the suspect was handcuffed and escorted into an officer’s car. Seven DPS cars arrived at the scene.

University of Southern California arrest Leavey Library USC