Why Villa Park, CA is an unforgettable place to grow up

Also known as Orange County’s ‘Hidden Jewel’

Growing up in Villa Park, CA is basically like growing up in Stars Hollow minus the history and quaint New England charm. Everyone knows everyone, you can’t go to Ralph’s without it turning into a family reunion, and there’s a diner cafe that’s the only decent place to eat in town.

With its kitschy seasonal traditions and tight-knit community, VP functions like an island in the middle of Orange County and there’s really no escaping it. My family and their friends all grew up there and have somehow managed to find their way back to raise a new generation of Villa Park-ians. What’s the draw?

The people

My family, the Frackeltons, have been living in Villa Park since 1970

The same families have pretty much been living in Villa Park since the town was incorporated in 1962. Are you a Barnett, Frackelton, or Kuli? Screw it, we’re probably all related somehow anyway. Having class with your cousins, your friend’s cousins, or your parent’s high school best friend’s kids is 100% normal.

Friendships were destined since birth and you’ll never meet someone your parents don’t have some past connection to. It’s like we’re living the made-for-Netflix revival of our parents’ lives.

The town center

Villa Park city hall

Running into a friend/family member here is inevitable since the Villa Park Town Center is everyone’s go-to spot. It has anything you could ever need: Ralph’s, restaurants, a nail salon, city hall, 3 whole banks, and that weird trinket store/pharmacy/postoffice that’s never actually open.

Bagel Me is the middle school hang out, the parking lot is great for learning to drive, and it’s all right next to the high school, making it the perfect place to go during a free period.

The food

Welcoming the U.S. Marines to Villa Park in front of Rockwell’s/the Post

Breakfast at Rockwell’s, religiously ordering-in First Class Pizza, the new Dunkin’ (with a drivethru!!)– why would you ever venture down Katella to find anything else? Sure they might not be the best or the most exciting choices, but loyalty is a priority.

The homes

A little backyard hangout with a few of our closest friends

Almost every house in Villa Park is built on a half-acre lot making them the perfect place for backyard BBQs or get-togethers any time of the year. Whether it’s the Fourth of July, a friend’s birthday, or a just a random Saturday night, it’s not uncommon to find half the town assembled in someone’s yard for burgers and swimming.

The nightlife

Wine-moms, rejoice! Now that we have the Post, there’s really no reason to ever move away. Catch all of your friends’ parents there any night of the week reliving their VPHS glory days.

The proximity to both Disneyland and the beach

Me, my sister, and my cousins paddle boarding in the Balboa Bay

15 minutes to Disney, 30 to Newport. It’s weird anyone would ever actually go to school when you could be at the park eating a turkey leg or on Balboa Island grabbing a Balboa Bar.

The town mascot

Yes, Villa Park has a mascot. It’s the hummingbird, which makes sense because VP is the tiniest city in Orange County. These cute little guys are painted on electrical boxes and signs around town and used as decoration in front of homes and businesses.

The affinity for youth sports 

Both my brother and sister played baseball through VPLL. My sister took it very seriously

Either you or your sibling grew up participating in Villa Park Little League or National Junior Basketball at one point or another. Weekends at the Cerro Villa baseball field or the high school basketball court were standard. Most of us had our first jobs working the snack bar, field crew, or scorekeeping games.

The quaint atmosphere

Backyard fireworks on the 4th of July

Saying as that there are, like, 2 streetlights and more horse trails than sidewalks it feels like you’ve been transported out of the O.C. when you’re walking through Villa Park. A lack of streetlights also means tons of stop signs, so trying to speed from one side of town to the other is a near impossibility.

The holiday spirit

VPHS girl’s volleyball in the 2015 Dry Land Yacht Parade

Villa Park takes the holiday season seriously. If you didn’t wear your costume to the Town Center Halloween Fest, host U.S. Marines for Thanksgiving, or ride on a float in the Dry Land Yacht Parade did you really have a childhood? And then there’s the classic Santa Tour where Santa Claus himself (definitely not your older family friend) is driven down every street in the firetruck to visit kids and take their requests for Christmas presents.

Villa Park is cozy, it’s close-knit, and sometimes it verges on creepy, but we love it anyways. Plus, being there is the closest I will ever get to living like a Gilmore girl.

Photo credits: Emily Condon and Curt Condon

University of Southern California