USC students are voting YES to Prop 64

Kiss your medical marijuana cards goodbye

Toke up, get blazed, spark up, – whether you’re a first-year student or a senior graduating this December, you know USC students like to smoke marijuana. Regardless of what you call it, you’ve probably also smoked weed on one or two occasions and you’ve probably done it illegally. But today, on Tuesday, November 8, USC students can vote for the right to light up, legally.

The California Marijuana Legalization Initiative, aka Prop 64, will be on the November 8, 2016, ballot in California as an initiated state statute. A “yes” vote will mean you support legalizing recreational marijuana for persons aged 21 or older under state law and establishing certain sales and cultivation taxes. Apart from Beyoncé and Jay-Z supporting Hillary Clinton, this is the most magical event Californians have been waiting for.

Since USC is home to some of the most intelligent peeps in the country, with Google, Facebook, and other top tech companies regularly hiring from us, we decided to ask some Trojans: To weed or not to weed?

Some Trojans thought Prop 64 was long overdue

Qaleb Pillai on the left side.

“Honestly, I was surprised it didn’t pass in 2012. I’m definitely voting for weed,” said Qaleb Pillai, another SC junior.

Allison Kelly.

“Why wouldn’t you legalize it?” asked Allison Kelly, an SC junior who participated in mail-in ballot voting.

Others rationalized why Prop 64 made sense

Tori Catapusan

“I come from a family that is super against western medicine, so I’m voting yes for Prop 64,” shared Tori Catapusan, another SC junior.

Shilah Stanford.

“I’m for Prop 64. No one should go to jail for smoking,” said Shilah Stanford, an SC who voted in her hometown of San Diego.

Lauren Foley.

Voting is so stressful. It’s like everything you do could have a huge impact,” said Lauren Foley, a sophomore voting against Prop 64.

Katie Hood, featured in the far right corner.

“I think Prop 64 is good because it eliminates the dangers of illegal drug trading,” said Katie Hood, an SC junior.

We even asked a Canadian, just for fun

“If I could vote, I would probably vote yes. Honestly, though, I don’t think it would make a huge difference in California. It’s already so easy to get,” said the Canadian.

Finally, we asked some elders

Rob Smat

Senior Rob Smat responded with wisdom, and some sarcasm. “I voted against weed, because of a number of reasons: 1) I’m a square, 2) My internal age of 75 suggests drugs are bad, 2A) I still think it’s a drug, and 3) I don’t like the smell.” He later clarified his position.

“While I’m sure Prop 64 will pass with flying colors, I’d hate to think that every time I smell weed legally from now on, I hadn’t made my voice heard back when it was time.”

Michael Calvillo

Recent USC grad Michael Calvillo also found himself very much in favor of Prop 64. “It’s time to tax and regulate marijuana. Too many people of color are in jail for bogus pot sentences and we can’t keep allowing this to happen.”

Eight out of eight of the USC students we asked about Prop 64 were in favor of legalizing marijuana. To further echo their voices, a poll recently published by the Los Angeles Times and USC Dornslife revealed similar opinions. Of the 1,500 likely voters’ interviews, 58% backed the initiative and only 37% opposed it.

About time for Prop 64? USC students are lighting up and saying hell yes.

University of Southern California