San Clemente, California is an unforgettable place to grow up

Aka the Spanish village by the sea

San Clemente, California is one of those paradoxical beach towns that is known for its surf culture. Where no one you actually know surfs but every “friend-of-a-friend” is the next Kelly Slater. And while the high school has earned the nickname “heroin high“, vibrant new programs have emerged to counteract drug use among the community’s youth.

Everyone somehow knows not to use the walking path below Wal-Mart and a large portion of the town seems to be made up of office complexes that are  carbon copies of Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company from The Office.

All the little things that make a place home.

San Clemente at its finest

The finest and the insta-worthy dining 

There is certainly no shortage of Southern California exclusive eateries including South of Nicks, Nicks, Sonny’s, Beachfire, El Ranchito and whichever restaurant currently has the lease across from the Hobies on Del Mar. These restaurants usually have fairly expensive and zesty guacamole (if the theme permits).

We also have a surplus of semi-casual restaurants: Wahoos, Panera, Ruby’s, Nektar, Baja Fresh, etc. These restaurants usually have less expensive guacamole.

As for those that most commonly appear on your Instagram feed, Café Mimosa is a Parisian Café that sits across from the library and serves the best brunch in San Clemente, not to mention the best chicken paninis. Bear Coast is often criticized for putting too much cream in the coffee but judging by Instagram, no one seems to care.

Lavender Lounge has a wide variety of teas and if desired, gummies called “choobies” can be added to the tea. Plus, teenagers can commonly be seen sneaking onto the roof to take wonderfully aesthetic photos.

Shopping is not for the weak hearted

San Clemente has outdoor plazas literally every half mile or less. They feature anything from nail salons to karate studios to a family owned Hallmark store to a mega-Target. We are now able to boast a newly opened outlet mall complete with a Calvin Klein and color changing sign one can view immediately as you exit the interstate.

Despite the attraction of major name brand stores the little quirky British shop and the place that only sells pastries for dogs will always have a large place in a San Clementian’s heart.

A pier sunset

The truth about the beaches

Rivi has no more sand, Trestles has no more sand, T-Street has no more sand, and North Beach which actually still has sand but the rocks cover it, are the major beaches. During the summer when walking along the beach trail from North Beach to T-Street one receives free entertainment from the children attempting to do push-ups as a part of the Junior Lifeguard Program.

There is also never a shortage of dogs for the desiring dog-petter to pet.

Somewhere between North Beach and T-Street

The lush, dead, unwatered hills

Everywhere. No wild plants are left living. The drought has been cruel to us.

Quirky perks

San Clemente also hosts a monthly farmers market and artisans fair where local artisans and craftsman can sell their work. The products range from the normal such as necklaces made from subway tokens to the unique such as American flags made of colored serving utensils. Every year San Clemente hosts the Ocean Festival which is a weekend of relevant water  sports and music performances. The 4th of July firework show gives watchers a perfect view of not only the San Clemente show, but also the Dana Point Show and three more cities.

The pier is innately not interesting; it always smells like fish and the likelihood of being pooped on by a pigeon increases by roughly 500%. Still, the view is beautiful and pretty much everyone on the pier is always smiling.

The love every person has deep down for the town and everyone who lives there

The town’s motto is “The Spanish Village by the Sea” but the only thing remotely “Spanish” about it is the army of white buildings with red tile rooves and the street names (everyone knows every street’s name). Yet, there is an unmissable charm about its main street, Del Mar, with its small businesses and the two Albertsons, located a convenient one mile apart despite the fact that we do not need two Albertsons.

As San Clemente continues to evolve into a modern city, no amount of Targets or Wal-Marts can take away the charm and the connection citizens feel to town. All it takes is a walk through Del-Mar and the more historic parts of San Clemente to reconnect one to the pituresque town of their dreams.

Before the sand disappeared

Multiple photos used with permission by Light on Nature Photograpahy. Select photo used with permission by Rachel Newman, photo by @ml.photo.

University of Southern California