Saying goodbye to USC: The stages of loss and grief

It’s time to move out

The school year has come to a close. The sun shines brighter, the air is sweet and warm, and daydreams of the beach will soon be a reality. Final papers and exams have been submitted, and all academic responsibilities have vanished. For most, this is a cause for celebration.

But for students at the University of Southern California, this is the most dreaded time of the year.

Moving out each year is arguably the hardest thing about going to USC.

Regardless of majors or extracurriculars, we are all united by sharing the pain of leaving the best place in the world — even if it is just for a few months.

The 5 Stages of Loss and Grief, as shown by a USC student:

Denial

In this stage, Trojans believe the time of year is somehow mistaken, and cling to a false, ideal reality.

Isn’t it still April? How could an entire year have flown by so quickly? There’s no way it’s summer already.

Anger

The departing Trojan will blame someone for their sadness and loss.

I can’t believe my parents scheduled my flight for the 9th and not the 11th. School doesn’t even technically end until the 11th, and I don’t want to be the first one to say goodbye to all of my friends.

Bargaining

USC students will believe they have some say in the situation if they bring a bargain to the table. This helps them keep focused on the hope that the situation might change, and less focused on the sadness they’re bound to experience.

Should I file a housing extension to stay here until the 13th? If I turn the form in early and it gets accepted, then my parents will have to push my flight back!

Depression

There is nothing left to be done. There is nothing to slow time, or avoid the inevitability of leaving USC.

Goodbye, friends. Goodbye, beautiful campus. Goodbye, Los Angeles. Goodbye, home.

Acceptance

Trojans slowly begin to embrace the future, and view moving out with a calm and retrospective approach. They realize it’s going to be okay.

We come back on Wednesday, August 17th. That’s only…what, 14 weeks from today? And it’s going to be football season!

Fight On through summer, Trojans. I can’t wait to see you all in August.

University of Southern California