What it’s like to be the sister of an internet celebrity

Follow for follow?

It’s a Sunday morning and I’ve set my alarm to 10 a.m., excited because this will be the first time this whole week I can have a morning to myself. Suddenly, I’m jolted awake by my older sister, Emma, dressed and ready.

“Morning! Get up and get coffee with me.” I look at the cellphone resting under my pillow. It’s 8am. I know this only means one thing: my sister, “the social media celebrity” has a project to do and intends to bribe me into assisting her with lattes (a classic, never overused choice).

“I need you to help me film a video today,” she says, tossing gym shorts and an oversized t-shirt at me. Fast-forward to two venti skinny caramel macchiatos and low fat turkey bacon sandwiches from Starbucks later, Emma and I are walking home to create outfits for what we’ve brainstormed for her new video.

My whole life I’ve looked up to Emma. Even when we were living in China, if Emma had a bowl of generic sugar cereal from the Chinese mini mart across the street, then so would I. If she had chocolate milk with dinner, so would I. Now, at 20, if Emma is making herself eggs for breakfast then so will I.

As long as YouTube as been around, Emma has always been making videos and I’ve been the cameraman directing her.

I’m her crazy number one fan, her Kris-Kardashian-fashionable-momager and support system. Emma has been a beauty guru since 2008 when she first came across the beauty guru, AllThatGlitters21 and Michelle Phan.

Recently, Emma has been building her personal brand to promote body confidence and to “love you(rself)”. She makes videos and Instagram blog posts that promote a healthy lifestyle and mentality, as well as giving beauty and fashion tips. She currently has 3,307 followers on Instagram, and 2,676 followers on YouTube.

“I had been so inconsistent with what I felt about myself. My channel has been growing because I’ve finally recognize my self worth and I want other people to feel that way about themselves,” Emma said while editing her recent video. “Your goal as a YouTuber shouldn’t just be to inspire others, but to be their friends.”

Emma wants other people to know that it does get better and that they aren’t alone. “If you want to post a selfie, do it. You have every right to be selfish when it comes to loving yourself. The phrase “Self love” is thrown around a lot, but it all comes down to seeing how much you’re worth and appreciating yourself. Emma uses YouTube to express herself freely and be artistic.

After spending time with Emma and her online adventures, here are my top ten tips for helping the Emma’s in your life, your YouTube/Blogger friends, succeed!

“It’ll only take a second.”

Is the polite thing your YouTube friend will say. It will not take a second. It might not take an hour and a half but it will take time.

When you agree to help, she is depending for you to be her second pair of eyes.

#AlwaysWorking

If you are going somewhere or doing something together that‘s exciting there is more than a 75% chance she WILL bring their camera to Vlog or film.

She will ask you to reblog, retweet, share, tweet, favorite, like, or make a statusabout her new video or project.

If you go out for food, she WILL take a picture of it before she eats

Do her a favor and move your hand and purse out of the way for the picture, so she doesn’t have to feel weird asking.

Backdrop is everything

She WILL ask for you to take pictures of her in front of a graffiti, pink or white wall or any type, for that matter. The most unflattering angle you could do it tilt the phone or camera upwards.

Help your friend keep her aesthetic and take the damn picture.

When she needs to work, she needs to work

She wants to go out and have fun so don’t make her feel bad that she can’t go to that party or watch that movie because she needs to film and edit. Her priorities are in her art and work and if your friend is serious about her social media presence, it’s her job.

She WILL ask for your opinion on her Instagram feed

Once again, a good friend helps keep your aesthetic in check.

A friend’s unconditional love and support are the greatest gift to give

Thanks to Emma Lev for letting me use her as my social media queen and teaching me everyday to love a little more!

YouTube: Emma Lev

Instagram: emma_lev

Twitter: emmlev

University of Southern California