Everything you missed in MTR’s Little Women

There was nothing “little” about the impact this production made on me

I didn’t know how a lot of elements of Musical Theatre Repertory’s (MTR’s) production of Little Women would work.

When I first saw the stage space, I realized that they had built the set into a given conference room of the Caruso Catholic Center. From the audience perspective, this can be a challenge. The room, which was definitely not a theatre space by any means with its hotel lobby-like atmosphere, automatically puts the company at a disadvantage.

Not only is there little space to create a stage, but the ambience of the room means the production has to work harder to immerse the audience into the story. I thought that this could be a problem for the student-run company’s production, especially on a lower budget than mainstage productions.

Program Cover for Little Women

But I walked away after the show with a newfound respect for my peers, a spring in my step that comes with seeing a great show, and a feeling of inspiration to learn (at least by the time I graduate) to sing.

Actor Harrison Poe, who played Theordore “Laurie” Lawrence, comments on what I perceived to be the strongest element of this production, “I think that any successful work of collaborative art is created amongst friends. The friendly environment we had in the rehearsal room allowed us to create what I think was a very good show. The camaraderie we shared was easily my favorite part.”

That aspect definitely came through in the production. “I know it’s a bit of a cliche, but I loved working with such a great group of people. Everyone is really talented in whatever their expertise is- acting, directing, design, stage management. On top of that, people are really inclusive and enjoyable to work with,” assistant stage manager Sabrina Sonner adds.

Cast of Little Women

As the actors ran up and down the aisles of people, while staying in character, I felt pulled into the story and a camaraderie that sets a good production apart from a great one. Off-stage collaboration and closeness definitely shows in onstage work, and this was no exception.

Crew of Little Women

Based on the novel by Louisa May Alcott, Little Women portrays the lives of four sisters , in particular the dreams of Jo March, over the span of multiple years, showing the highs and lows that come with life. This musical is very special in that regard as well; the musical gives a well-rounded approach to life and dreams where not everything is all happy and grand by the end.

In the Director’s Note, Victoria Pearlman says, “…with a lot of hard work and some help from others, we are able to make our dreams fully realized just as Jo does throughout the play.”

Set of Little Women

Sonner elaborates, “Thanks to our amazing production team and cast, we were able to get everything together by opening, but we were working until midnight or later during tech week to get there.”

The production not only made me want to read the novel, but refueled my fire to be part of a show again. I can’t wait to see what MTR does next year and to see my peers follow their dreams as well.

University of Southern California