I go to USC but everything is better in Texas

They call us ‘out of staters’

The University of Southern California is known nationwide for its diversity and great international representation. Although it may seem that every other person you meet claims “the Bay Area” or some variation of a beach twenty minutes away as their hometown, about 60% of us are not Californians.

In fact, Texas is the second most represented geographic state at USC. We go to a unique school in such a unique location and I will be the first to say that coming to this school from a place like Texas was not the easiest transition.

Our food is unbeatable

Photo by Caroline Stack

The barbecue, the sweet tea, the chicken fried steak, and who could forget Whataburger; the staple of Texas fast food. Although El Cholo might serve cheap, large pitchers of margaritas, there is a powerful force that goes by the name of Tex-Mex that puts shame to the El Cholo name. Not to mention the giant sized portions of every meal which often cost about $10 cheaper than every place serving food in downtown L.A.

That being said, it is safe to say that coming to trendy Los Angeles with its kale and quinoa salads, pressed vegetable juice, and acai bowls was quite the food culture shock for a Texan like me.

The Texas wardrobe is infinitely more comfortable

Any Texas girl can tell you that for leisure wear in the South, big t-shirts or tanks that cover half your body are the norm (don’t forget the monograms, jesus sandals, and the Texas shaped jewelry.)

When I arrived in this West-Coast state I found myself quite disoriented, asking myself where the Nike shorts were and why I was the only one sporting them around the dorms. An outsider I was, for in Southern California, Lululemon workout clothes with Adidas fit the bill for any casual outing.

Photo by Nina Benavides

The wardrobe difference may even be more dramatic for boys. Forget the typical vans wearing California boy look, in Texas, boys live and breath by the preppy attire of Vineyard Vines, Southern Marsh and Patagonia (many times accompanied with cowboys boots depending on the occasion).

People are genuinely nicer

Lastly, when I came to California from Texas there was one major thing missing. I am sure that not only fellow Texan out of staters can concur, but any other peers from the South will also vouch for the absence of Southern hospitality.

After living in Texas for over 10 years, I can rightfully confirm that Southern charm is a real thing. The compassion and personal service that the people from Texas give to anyone, including total strangers, is truly astonishing. When it comes to sweet southern accents, proper “yes ma’am, yes sir” etiquette and warm friendliness, Texas takes the cake.

If Texas were personified, it would be your sweet old grandma who bakes you cookies and hugs you just a little bit too long every time she sees you. Yeah, I might not miss those 110 degree days in August, but when it comes to being out of state at USC, I am proud to put on those cowboy boots and call myself a Texan.

Don’t get me wrong, USC is in fact the best school in the country and I wouldn’t want to study anywhere else.

Although I might have to settle for El Cholo for now, the value from experiencing a totally new place like California is a gift in itself and being out of state has only made my college experience more unique.

However, every now and then I find myself missing those Texas ways that I grew up accustomed to, because USC is beautiful, but there’s no place like home, y’all.

University of Southern California