Celebration of the Arts is coming to USC tomorrow

*Michael Scott voice* swaaaaaaaaaag

USC Fisher? Is that the guy who catches all the fish in the sketchy sushi rolls in Seeds?

Nope. It’s USC’s own art museum! If you didn’t know that already, fear not. There’s a student organization on campus whose primary interest is creating a connection between the museum and students. It’s called Students with Fisher and members are offered internships at the museum, taught how to give tours, offered bonding events like movie nights, and most importantly, organize the museum’s Celebration of the Arts.

The Celebration of the Arts is happening this Saturday from 12-3 in the Roski courtyard behind Nektar. It will be chock full of free food, art and Ground Zero gift cards (free milkshakes? yes please!). The celebration is a collaboration between various student organizations such as AIGA, The African American Cinema Society, and, of course, Students with Fisher.

This year’s celebration will also feature free performances of improv and stand up, such as student performer Jamie Nguyen, and spoken word, such as by student performer Evan Le. There will also be a hip-hop dance performance by student dance team Breakthrough and musical performances by the Saved By Grace Choir, DJs from our very own radio station, KXSC, and by Nini Nguyen, who’s a pretty big deal in Vietnam.

This is the 6th Celebration thrown by Fisher. Ani Mnatsakanyan and Catherine Mai, the Students with Fisher’s faculty advisor and president, respectively, describe the event as the museum’s main bridge to USC’s student body.

When Fisher’s study program closed, Students with Fisher, and the celebration, were created to get students involved with the museum. This year’s celebration is called Star Gazers and Globe Trotters to honor Fisher’s current exhibit, 20/20 Accelerando by Lita Albuquerque. The exhibit is an interactive video experience, playing a 26 minute film projected onto walls in various rooms, one of which happens to feature a salt field. The film follows a young woman who speaks only in a “tonal language,” a language created solely for the film.

There are subtitles, don’t worry.

Besides exploring Fisher’s current exhibit and the celebration’s free performances, there’s plenty more in store for this fun afternoon! There will be tables with arts and crafts such as Nebula watercolor painting, Starry Night mirror painting, spin art, and any arts and crafts materials your heart could desire. Blick Art Supplies will also have a table where they will be giving away free art supplies and other goodies such as sketchbooks, paint, and tote bags, which, if you’ve ever been to Blick and seen the retail price of this swag, you’ll know is a pretty big deal.

Last, but definitely not least, there will be a lot of free food! The event is catered by Chick-fil-a, CrepeCoop, Kroft Sandwiches, as well as other treats brought by the Fisher fam such as Vietnamese spring rolls.

Whether you’re coming for the free stuff, the performances, or to check out Fisher’s rad new exhibit, this Saturday’s event is surely not one to miss.

University of Southern California