Solar panels need to be installed at eternally sunny USC

Environmental Core demands a cleaner USC in solar rally

Yesterday afternoon, tens of students gathered together in the heart of campus, standing next to Tommy Trojan, to hold a public demonstration demanding the university takes action towards creating renewable and environmentally-sustainable energy resources on campus.

Environmental Core organised their first solar rally at the beginning of last semester. They have since seen the momentum behind their cause rise to the point where, later on this month, a solar panel will be installed on USC’s campus.

USC’s major Environmental Activism Organization, Environmental Core, held the Solar Rally with the intention of making a real change at USC.

Member Dale Solomon said: “We get 300 days of sun in LA every year, it’s backwards that USC has this huge opportunity to save energy and climate [and] hasn’t used it yet.”

It has been two years since Environmental Core started working with USC’s Office of Sustainability.  In this time, they have met with business consultants about exactly what can feasibly happen.

At the end of yesterday’s Solar Rally, one of the leading members of Environmental Core, Keoki Kakigi, was called to meet with someone from the president’s office, which is indicative of how important this issue has become to USC.

Environmental Core organised the event not only gain more attention from the administration, but also with their fellow students.

This group wants to make more students aware of the fact that USC has only just started putting money towards getting renewable energy on campus through the installation of solar panels – and this was largely due to previous solar rally events and communication between Environmental Core and the administration.

If more students are aware of the situation and how easy it is to fix, there would likely be greater backing to try and shift our energy sources to more environmentally-friendly ones.

Environmental Core’s work to increase sustainability and help combat global warming is proof that students at USC can make a real positive impact – Trojans help Trojans.

University of Southern California