USC’s drinking culture is infinitely better than any other school’s

USC: University of Solo Cups

USC is reconfiguring its reputation of the American “party school” by redefining the party scene among USC students.

Although academics and extracurricular activities are important facets of the USC undergraduate student body, drinking also plays an equally essential role in shaping the community culture.

At USC, alcohol is a surprisingly popular subject within the campus dialogue — even my professors recognize our drinking habits, and they are ironically okay with it. Here are all the ways our drinking culture stands out from your average university.

The Row

AEPi house on The Row

Located a couple blocks north of campus on West 28th Street, no other college even compares to the party standards of The Row.

The Row is a shit-show of a college fantasy that embodies the countless stories and experiences that define USC Greek Life. Regardless of the sloppiness and raunchiness that infiltrates The Row, there are many friendships and relationships that blossom from this loud, drunken chaos.

Let’s just say Seth Rogen and his family would have abandoned this neighborhood a long time ago (Zac Efron and Selena Gomez clearly have never gone to USC).

Tailgating season

There’s nothing I miss more than waking up to the view of tents and porta-potties lined outside my dorm room window. Game Days at USC are synonymous with drinking marathons — people begin their day by consuming alcohol alongside their breakfast. Bottomless mimosas, anyone?

What makes USC truly unique is the plethora of options for on-campus drinking. USC students take full advantage of Game Day because it is the only time we get to throw massive parties in a scholastic setting. Playing beer pong in Alumni Park and shotgunning beers in front of Tommy Trojan are a few of many common sights that encompass USC Game Days.

Campus cruiser and free Uber Rides

Not only does USC acknowledge the prevalence of college-drinking, but the university also promotes personal safety in doing so. This especially includes utilizing transportation services to reduce drunk-driving and ensure students get home safely.

USC offers a student-run transportation service every night from Thursday-Saturday, and they also pay for Uber rides from 7 PM-2 AM every night for their students. Aside from our laziness to walk back home, free transportation creates a safer environment for off-campus drinking in which students can responsibly have fun at night.

Coachella and Stagecoach

Coachella 2015 Weekend 1

There are only two types of seasons that exist at USC: football and festival. Indio, California is practically our one-stop party oasis in the middle of the Mojave Desert, as it’s home to Coachella and Stagecoach Festival. At USC, we take music festival matters very seriously in that Friday classes are almost deserted, and the school bookstore changes its entire inventory to fringe tops and flash tats.

Because students plan and attend these events together in large groups, Coachella and Stagecoach serve as alternate party venues where students embrace the USC community outside of Los Angeles.

At USC, drinking isn’t just a social activity — drinking transcends student life in ways that unite the people of USC.

University of Southern California