Everything we have to be thankful for at Carolina

Not going to Duke is a big one

With Thanksgiving upon us and a fairly hate-filled election behind us, it’s about time we appreciate all that we have at UNC. Here’s the things we should all be thankful for during this holiday season:

The Carolina Community

Can you feel the love tonight?

There is so much love within the Carolina family, and it doesn’t take much to see it. “Much” can simply be coming together for a meal or group project. “Much” can also mean meeting your best friends at basketball games, sledding down hills on South Campus, answering “TAR” with “HEELS”, and  coming to the sudden realization that we all have more in common than we thought.

The Professors

Professors are who shape our experiences in class. Yes, grades are important, but if class isn’t at least somewhat interesting or useful then grades will reflect that. Professors will change your life and shape your career. They are the ones who will give you recommendation letters, internship opportunities and great memories in class.

UNC professors are the very best because not only are they some of the brightest minds in the world, they genuinely care about us and how we’re doing. I’ve had professors tell me I could come to them and talk about absolutely anything in my life. I just recently had a professor who invited me to Thanksgiving dinner.

Of course there are exceptions. There will probably always be that one class you hate in your schedule–but overall, UNC professors are something to celebrate.

The Opportunities

UNC grads are everywhere doing everything. We have such a privilege to go to a school that is well known across the world and that has such a great alumni base.

But there aren’t just opportunities after graduating– there are also thousands of them while studying at UNC. On-campus jobs, studying abroad, clubs, events, organizations–the list of opportunities goes on forever. There’s so much students can do to learn and grow into better human beings. UNC will change our lives, so don’t take it for granted.

The Beauty

Just look around our campus right now–at the leaves and the sky and the everything–and you’ll see it’s the most beautiful place in the world. It’s not only the typically pretty North Carolina weather, but also the famous landmarks on campus and especially the Arboretum. Our groundskeeping staff has got to be the best in the world and we should be so very thankful we get a great view on every walk to class, even those 8ams.

The Sports

I grew up in Chapel Hill and I always wondered what it would be like to see the athletes walk around campus just as students instead of “famous” people. Admittedly I still get somewhat starstruck when I do pass by them, but I’ve learned to control my fan-girling (somewhat).

We are so lucky to go to a school where sports bond so many members of our community. The Tar Heels bring everyone in Chapel Hill together–alums, students and simply fans–and that may be one of the core reasons we are so tight-knit.

Oh yeah, we are also lucky that we don’t go to Duke.

Happy Thanksgiving, Tar Heels! And while you’re sitting around the table with your family, calling out what you are thankful for, don’t forget to mention Carolina.

UNC